Firefox 5 Preview Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
[citation][nom]Spanspace[/nom]Am I the only one who doesn't see 5 up there? I see a 4.2.[/citation]

Read the article.

G

edilee:
You can disable the hardware accelerated rendering, which is what I did cause my display card is old and it doesn't look good. Once disabled, it will stop crashing on bad drivers and it's still faster than FF 3.6 and IE8.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Stability concerns, crashes???? What pcs do you have???? You people are ridiculous.
The biggest reason of bugs and crashes is the person behind the keyboard, not the browser or the system.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
@xambron Chrome and stability is two words that I never expected to see together...

Maybe Mozilla should work on fixing what FF4 broke first.

tpk911

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
@ xambrom: exactly the same here. I switched to Chrome 12.0.719.0 canary build and have no issues. Firefox doesn't pull it anymore:(

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Stability concerns, crashes???? What pcs do you have???? You people are ridiculous.The biggest reason of bugs and crashes is the person behind the keyboard, not the browser or the system.[/citation]
So true, I've been using FF4 since the day it launched and I haven't had one single crash. And I spend many hours a day browsing the web.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The reason I switched to Chrome is because Firefox used to be slower, plus Chrome had a nicer barebone approach to their interface.

Firefox has become much like Google Chrome but Iv'e lost much of my love for Firefox.

I still have it installed though, I have a bunch of web browsers installed so I don't have to log out then back into all of my Youtube accounts :)

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I'd been using Chrome for a few months prior to FF4, now I'm back to FF4. No crashes or problems at all and it seems faster to me than the competitors. My PC's not that new either, running a 8800 GTS card with latest drivers.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I have FF4 running on a dozen systems and most of them are used 24/7. Not one single problem yet. Most of my systems are AMD/ATI GPU but I do have a few Nvidia's also. Still none of them have shown any problems. And yes, most problems are related to the item behind the keyboard somehow. FF4 finally brought the speed back to the fox. I never did like Chrome anyhow. But Mozilla is on the rampage with FF5 right around the block already! I think more-so, FF4 was a major revision and FF5 will be a tweaked revision which is why they are being released as such. Just enough new toys to warrant a new major version number but not enough to require a new core recode. Good-on-ya Moz!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I actually use IE, FF, and Ch, just for different things. Need pass through or single sign on, IE all the way. Want massive customization go for firefox (no script, no flash, ABP, ghostery). Want to get in and get out quick or feel like watching videos, go with chrome. I know chrome supports add-ons also, but its still not an equal to firefox.

w4t634wtgsg

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Beenusing ff4 for a week now on 3 computers from work to home. And its been completely 100% stable. No crashes, no problems, all my addons just worked.

Doesnt really seem any faster but ff3 never was slow for me. Ive done a bit of playing with chrome vs ff4 and it seems more or less even on speed. Some sites chrome has the edge on and other ff4 has the edge on.

Ill keep using FF as my primary browser until they piss me off. But right now im quite content with it. Does everything i need it to without any problems.

doggrell3000

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
i have an old 'puter running win32 xp . i am using the latest firefox 4.xx . if i want to try the new firefox 5 build ( just for the heck of it ) which one of the downloads on the list should i use ? i am guessing it is called " firefox-4.2a1pre.en-us.win32.zip " . i am assuming the win32 zip file has all the necessary junk . or do i need to load all the win32 stuff ? ( i don't know dick bout puters . sorry ) .

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]They just release 4.0 which is crashing some people's video card drivers and still no fix for this problem that has been present since last years beta versions and they already are pushing out the preview for the next version? Seems to me the team that is working on 5.0 should be reassigned to fixing the current problems before they focus heavily on the next version which could possibly include the same bug.[/citation]

You know, As you can probably tell, Firefox 5 will build on Firefox 4. They arnt tearing up Firefox 4 and starting again are they!
Think of it as a response to all the idiots who think Chrome is better because it has a higher version number. Rather than anything actually meaningful.

xenolalia

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Stability concerns, crashes???? What pcs do you have???? You people are ridiculous.The biggest reason of bugs and crashes is the person behind the keyboard, not the browser or the system.

Mmm, yes. PEBKAC. :)

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Stability concerns, crashes???? What pcs do you have???? You people are ridiculous.The biggest reason of bugs and crashes is the person behind the keyboard, not the browser or the system.[/citation]

+1 to this. everyone on her posts how flash crashes firefox on them constantly and i have been using firefox 4 since beta 6 and flash never crashes on me once. its not firefox it because you do have crappy computers. the same goes for all the vista haters. don't blame vista blame your crappy computer

Status
Not open for further replies.