Firefox Addon Sounds When Google Spies Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]chess[/nom]to be honest, i'm fine with sending Google anonymous data. As long as it is used to improve mankind![/citation]

Stalin and Hitler would have loved to keep you as a pet. It is people like you that allow monsters to take power and make us all suffer. Terrible life is to live in fear.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
HA, hat thing is gonna drive people nutz very quickly, google analytics is on almost every page I go to, have it blocked with NoScript just cause it's everywhere.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Stalin and Hitler would have loved to keep you as a pet. It is people like you that allow monsters to take power and make us all suffer. Terrible life is to live in fear.

Believe it or not some people understand that the only way to make everything in your life private is to not live with people. Go live in fear as a Hermit. P.S. Tom's is tracking you right now, the type of computer you use, your IP address, your physical location and more.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Most pages have analytics installed, im okay with google collecting the data it does because they collect sooooo much data its absolutely impossible to track an individual, only group trends.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Does this add-on block the sending of information to Google servers or does it just tell you that its being sent? If its only telling you that your information was sent what is the point of the add-on other than being extremely annoying as it appears the majority of webpages collect data.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Stalin and Hitler would have loved to keep you as a pet. It is people like you that allow monsters to take power and make us all suffer. Terrible life is to live in fear.[/citation]

Its a far cry from Google to Hitler and Stalin, I think you just Godwin-ed yourself. Keep in mind he said Anonymous information, not opened every detail of his life.

Google has grown a lot over time, but they've done a lot of good for the net so far and helped shape a lot of useful services.

They certainly have done a lot less evil than just about any other company you hear about in the press being chased around by the DOJ for unfair business practices, collusion, price fixing (SAMSUNG, MS, Intel, etc... considering some companies are claiming MS using the DOJ to attack competitors)

Frankly, most of the criticism I hear about them tends to be half baked. Still, I am cautious. Companies can change. People can change. Most of us are not stupid, we know the difference between a company with "Do no evil" in their company directive and two of the world's biggest mass murderers.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
At the end of the day they collect info on countless millions of people, even if they did randomly choose to look at 1 specific person the likeliness of it being you is insane and as if they'd be bothered to actually find out who you are as all they'd have is an IP address and if your ISP allows it then a physical address but even then that doesnt give your name. They collect the info to find trends and stuff like that so who cares?

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Who ares if data is being sent to Google? If you're worried about your data being sent to them, you're either doing things you shouldn't be (and are too stupid to know they still wouldn't use the data against you), and/or need to get a life.

randomizer

Distinguished
If you think that blocking google-analytics will allow you to keep your privacy online you're deceiving yourself. Internet privacy is a myth. Privacy in general is a myth. Everywhere you go, everything you do and everything about you is being tracked by someone.

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
kind of funny, yet fair, hearing about this from toms.
Lets see, the scripts from 3rd party domains I'm blocking on toms right now are:
google-analytics.com
addthis.com
kontera.com
revsci.net
dl-rms.com
uservoice.com
scorecardresearch.com

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
unless you really believe Google is out to get you I don't see why you should be paranoid. Google has done much good for the internet and yet to have done something completely deserving of our distrust. Not that I can guarantee they aren't up to no good, but I'd take a chance with them with my data than any other company in the world.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
bin1127, what about Google's caving in to the Chinese government.

Oh, wait. It didn't affect us, so never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.