Firefox extension for Synaptics Touchpad

krfan1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I have a Compaq Presario V2312 laptop. It has a Synaptics touchpad (identified under XP's Device Manager as a Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad).

The touchpad has the vertical and horizonal scroll bars. The scroll bars work in Explorer, IE, Adobe Acrobat, and every other program....excapt for Firefox.

Does anyone know of a plugin or extension (or a work around) for Firefox that will enable the scrolling on my touchpad?

thanks,
krfan1

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Hmm, that's really odd since scrolling is handled at a system level then passed to various apps via an API.

Either scolling support wasn't compiled into Firefox (not likely unless you compiled it yourself) or something odd is going on with the driver <-> app interface.

I'd suggest going to the laptop's site and downloading the latest drivers for the touchpad. It's likely that it's out-of-date.

Link with more info and a direct download from Synaptics if Compaq/HP doesn't have any updates.

Edit: Just to be perfectly clear here, there's no need for an extension to use the scrolling feature with Firefox unless you want to do something unusual like rotate through your opened tabs/history/etc. with the scroll. vertical and horizontal scrolling is built-in by default.

krfan1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
The Compaq's Hitachi drive died so now my laptop is just a fancy paper weight until I get a new hard drive.

To anyone watching this thread, I will post up bmouring's suggestion once I get a new drive (I might just pick a drive up this weekend)

krfan1