jamac666

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I loved firefox. It was the be internet browser in teh universe until recently it started behaving very strangely. Every so often firefox would crash leaving my computer useless and a hard reboot would be required. I have spent many hours tracking it down to firefox and am annoyed and frustrated that I cannot use what was me favourite internet browser. My computer is quite powerful and there is nothing else that could be causing such irritating failures of my technology. I am writing this message in Chrome and am none to happy! my question to you is, has anyone else experienced such strange symptoms due to firefox? I thank you for your time. Jamac666

smartkid95

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
wow now I know I'm not alone. I was just about to post the same thing. I thought it was a virus type issue. I did a fresh install of windows xp and still issues. Firefox crashed twice so far and everytime I use a search engine it gives me some kind of ad.
I myself wanna know what's going on. A temporary solution is I run firefox in ubuntu and most of the issues went away, I don't know if you have a dual boot system though. I've had no issues until last weekend about starting on monday is when I first started getting issues. For a fresh install and already problems in windows?

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Jamac, what version are you using? How many extensions do you have? Have you tried running in Safe Mode? Not Windows Safe Mode, but Firefox Safe Mode. Don't check any of the boxes. is the problem still there?

Smartkid, you have malware, and you're also butting into someone else's thread. Start your own thread

jamac666

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I was running the most recent version of Firefox (3.6) but this problem also occurred when using older versions. Since I started this thread I have uninstalled Firefox and am now using Chrome. I did not want to have to do this but it has fixed the crashes on my system. I did not have any extensions in Firefox as I simply didn't need them! i had tried running Firefox in safe mode but my system still crashed. It is not a virus problem as I have 4 anti virus softwares (AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, ESET NOD32 and Comodo) and none of them could find any viruses of malware. Thanks you for your response.

sweetwater

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Try disabling add-ons or plug-ins and that type stuff one at a time. If stopping them helps logical is don't use em or put up with bloat wigginess. Re-enable them if you want to. Sometimes it's more than one in combination causing the slow down. M$ is famous for bloat and non M$ programs mimic to gain market share. M$ terminate stray resident is a big hanger too. My $.02 %:)SW ][ Knowing your platform in advance will help others better answer...]

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I just uninstalled firefox. It's been horribly glitchy for a couple months and today has crashed on me 3-4 times. The past few months, it is just glitchy and slow. It sometimes won't display embedded content on pages...

I'm going to re-install it and see if it acts any different.

aford10

Distinguished

What version are you on?

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
3.6.3. I reinstalled today and have only been using it for a little while.

I was wondering if it gets buggy after being updated over and over again... idk though.