Firefox Nears 30% of Worldwide Market Share

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Hollariho[/nom]i got 100 tabs open permanently. I'm leaving open everything interesting which does not deserve a bookmark ( would be too much of a hassle) of course this consumes memory.... MUCH memory. To help me have an overview I use tab sidebar. It works for me.[/citation]

Me too. Interesting articles that I want to read and evaluate later if I want to bookmark or not, left from one session to the other.

But I only manage to have around 100 tabs open, and I suspect it's because of flash. If I have too many pages with flash open, it crashes.

One thing I like about Opera is that it has a more advanced feature in this regard: it allows you to save browsing sessions. So the next time you load the browser and you just want to do some fast stuff, you don't have to wait for all you 100+ tabs to load. You just don't load the saved session. When you're ready to go through it all, then you can load up the session. And you can save multiple sessions. I suspect it's stored much like your bookmarks list. I wish Firefox had this sort of functionality. I shouldn't be too hard to implement. In fact I suspect it's an easy thing to do.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
600 tabs? I have 4 tabs open permanently, a vbulletin website, yahoo mail, youtube and facebook. After a day or two of these sites and some other random sites, FireFox 3.6.2 gets to be about 900 megs to 1 gig of memory and becomes laggy. Youtube vids and scrolling any sort of text is jerky. I have to restart it on a daily basis to keep the memory down and avoid lag. How anyone could open 600 tabs is beyond me.

My addons are NoScript, Weatherbug, TabMixPlus and QuickRestart (because they removed the old restart option).

Even with these problems I prefer FF over IE.

mala fide

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Me too. Interesting articles that I want to read and evaluate later if I want to bookmark or not, left from one session to the other.But I only manage to have around 100 tabs open, and I suspect it's because of flash. If I have too many pages with flash open, it crashes.One thing I like about Opera is that it has a more advanced feature in this regard: it allows you to save browsing sessions. So the next time you load the browser and you just want to do some fast stuff, you don't have to wait for all you 100+ tabs to load. You just don't load the saved session. When you're ready to go through it all, then you can load up the session. And you can save multiple sessions. I suspect it's stored much like your bookmarks list. I wish Firefox had this sort of functionality. I shouldn't be too hard to implement. In fact I suspect it's an easy thing to do.[/citation]

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7661

It seems that Steve Jobs' vision of browser hasn't come to pass.

zaixionito

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
"Chrome kills privacy! I will never use it! It sends stats to Google"

...And I'm supposed to use Fauxfire to save my privacy?
>_

Status
Not open for further replies.