Firefox to Save File & Open like Chrome

TeaSponge

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
Does anyone know how to get Firefox to Save a file to Downloads and automatically Open it like Chrome does?
E.g. Click on a PDF link, it starts saving to Downloads folder and automatically opens when complete.

Firefox options only allow:

1. Saving the file, but I have to go to the Downloads folder and manually open the file.
OR
2. Opening the file but it saves a copy to a temp folder buried far away - I don't want this duplication.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file
I'm using Firefox Quantum (v60.0)

Does anyone know of a fix or an Addon that mimics Chrome's download behaviour?

Solution
It has to have a copy of the file somewhere to open it. Even Chrome buries it in the users Appdata folder so FF is already doing the same thing Chrome does.

It sounds like you would like to open items with only using RAM so I think you would need to make a ramdisk and then move the cache, tmp, temp, and temporary internet files to it. I'm not sure that this would not cause more issue down the road. it seems that sometimes files stored there aren't really temporary at all. BTW - a ramdisk is destroyed when the pc is shut off and gets recreated when turned on again.

popatim

Splendid
It has to have a copy of the file somewhere to open it. Even Chrome buries it in the users Appdata folder so FF is already doing the same thing Chrome does.

It sounds like you would like to open items with only using RAM so I think you would need to make a ramdisk and then move the cache, tmp, temp, and temporary internet files to it. I'm not sure that this would not cause more issue down the road. it seems that sometimes files stored there aren't really temporary at all. BTW - a ramdisk is destroyed when the pc is shut off and gets recreated when turned on again.

Solution