Firefox's Tablet UI Scheduled for Firefox 9 Integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Firefox 7.0 is the first browser release that got me exited in a while. It fixes the terrible font rendering that Windows 7 users had to endure with hardware acceleration enabled, reduces cold boot time sharply and makes memory use more stable and predictable - thus fixing all my gripes at once with Firefox.

As for a tablet UI: good for those who actually want a tablet and want to use FF on it. I guess.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Firefox 7.0 is the first browser release that got me exited in a while. It fixes the terrible font rendering that Windows 7 users had to endure with hardware acceleration enabled, reduces cold boot time sharply and makes memory use more stable and predictable - thus fixing all my gripes at once with Firefox.As for a tablet UI: good for those who actually want a tablet and want to use FF on it. I guess.[/citation]
Thank you! I've finally found the culprit of terrible font.

BTW, is Firefox 7 beta 1 stable? Firefox 7 aurora 2 crashed on me right after installation....

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
There will more than likely never be one killer android tablet, but as a collective, they are a force to be reckoned with.

Meanwhile, others are coming out with android tablet browsers. As a long time FF user, I've pretty much ditched FF for chrome and now sync my bookmarks between my pc and tablet. The pc scene is changing rapidly, you snooze you lose.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom]Thank you! I've finally found the culprit of terrible font.BTW, is Firefox 7 beta 1 stable? Firefox 7 aurora 2 crashed on me right after installation....[/citation]

i use nightly, ff 8.0a1 (2011-07-24)

i constantly open over 500 tabs, and only had 1 crash so far, VERY STABLE if you ask me, compared to 3.5 and 5 releases.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
ff uses more resources with less tabs than chrome, opera, and ie. but the more tabs you open the less it uses, were i was at 500 tabs, i was using about 700mb

but 4-6 are known to use more memory than needed, 7 and 8 fixed this, to the point i switched from 3.5 to 8, and it handles crap tons of tabs better than 3.5

G

those having stability and memory issues should consider nightly in the 64bit flavor, rock solid

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]been using the ff8.0a1 64 bit on win7.its very solid and very stable.[/citation]

i cant say much for the win 7 64 bit version, my little brothers pc is so crapped up, i cant tell if its ff or if its something he installed that makes it run lesser.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
The code junkies at Mozilla are like kids search for a bookmark and they can't even tell you what folder it's in Ya OK. Plus Ctrl + Shift + B got moved from bottom to top AGAIN, like i said kids playing with code. Besides Chrome runs way, way, way, Faster then Mozilla hell IE 8 is faster then Mozilla 6 at this point without a doubt.

Benchmarks ran from Maximum PC shows that in July magazine I think. Loading HTML feeds from others site and Mozilla just chokes. After reading and seeing the benchmarks I never looked back, one thing left and that's to install Xmarks Add-on in Chrome then no more Firefox for me. Have fun Code Junkies!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]PhoneyVirus[/nom]The code junkies at Mozilla are like kids search for a bookmark and they can't even tell you what folder it's in Ya OK. Plus Ctrl + Shift + B got moved from bottom to top AGAIN, like i said kids playing with code. Besides Chrome runs way, way, way, Faster then Mozilla hell IE 8 is faster then Mozilla 6 at this point without a doubt. Benchmarks ran from Maximum PC shows that in July magazine I think. Loading HTML feeds from others site and Mozilla just chokes. After reading and seeing the benchmarks I never looked back, one thing left and that's to install Xmarks Add-on in Chrome then no more Firefox for me. Have fun Code Junkies![/citation]

i dont think you get the point of firefox or mozilla, and thats ok, you don't have to. they forced ie and everyone to make a better browser, and of all the browsers i have, firefox is what i use for everything, besides multimedia, because chrome handles it better.

otherwise, the extensions firefox has that chrome cant have make me stick with ff, that and its low ram usage under loads.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Seriously, though:

Firefox on tablets is only worth the trouble (except for the tabbed browsing) when Adblock Plus is available for that version.

After that appears, though... I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.