Firestick 4K is "sleepy".

Dennis_15

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
I have an issue with an Amazon Firestick 4K. I connected the stick to an HDMI port on my Onkyo HT-RC160 amplifier. From there the Onkyo is connected to a Vizio E55u-D2 television. This works great "most" of the time. The problem I am encountering is that after having the equipment turned off overnight or for multiple hours, I cannot seem to get the Firestick to "wake up". I press buttons on the remote and nothing happens. I let it sit for 10 minutes and still nothing. I can switch to another input source (DVD or UVERSE) and everything works for those sources wonderfully. If I switch back to the Firestick still nothing. After anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, I can switch to the Firestick, hit the home button and everything works perfectly. I know my HDMI ports on the Onkyo are not 4K capable and have set the Firestick to only do 1080. I can't seem to figure out what it takes to wake this thing up. Any suggestions?

Dennis_15

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Just to give anyone who cared (obviously not many), the problem was not the Firestick but the receiver. Seems the HDMI ports on older Onkyo equipment seem to fail over time. One of the symptoms is that HDMI ports need to "warm up" before they function. Seems if I turn the receiver on and let it warm up for 20 minutes everything works great. Time for a new receiver.