Firestick wifi issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2018
I have a LG smart TV with webos. I bought amazon fire stick yesterday to access more apps. However, the fire stick is really acting up. I have a 50mbps connection but fire stick connectivity drops every few mins. Till it drops, I am able to watch content but there is a bit of buffering. I tried turning off my smart TV wifi as I thought that it may be causing some interference. But to no avail. Really frustrated, pls help. I speed tested the wifi many times and it's effectively 40 Mbps at all times so I know wifi is not an issue.

Mar 13, 2018
I had a similar issue with a Firestick, I manged to maintain a connection long enought to do a software upgrade and that sorted the Wi-Fi issue.

Also found this on Amazon's website:

There may be an issue with your Internet service itself. Your Amazon Fire TV features a network status tool that can help you diagnose problems with your connection and learn about ways to fix them.

To use the tool, select Settings > Network from the Fire TV menu, then press Play/Pause on your remote.

The tool then checks to make sure your device is connected to your selected network, and it has an active connection to the Internet. It describes any problems with your connection, with recommended resolution steps you can try.

Jun 9, 2018

I'm ready to throw my Firestick away and get a new Roku. I have a Roku in my bedroom which is further away from the router and it NEVER has problems like the Firestick has like freezing, buffering FOREVER, throwing me out or telling me there's something wrong with my internet connection when it's working perfectly fine. SO incredibly frustrating and it's gotten worse after their recent major update. UGH!

Sep 9, 2018
Amazon Fire and various similar sticks/boxes only support 5Ghz channels 36-48. If you have a dual band router and your router is set to auto channel, every time the router changes to a channel outside of this range the fire stick will no longer be able to see the network and will drop the connection. It will then re-connect at 2.4 Ghz. When the channel changes back to one the fire stick will recognise it may drop the connection again and change back to 5 Ghz.

The solution is to go in to your router's configuration and change the SSID of the 2.4 Ghz band to something different. Then change the 5 Ghz channel setting from auto to usually one of 36,40,44,48 (non-overlapping channels). Then reboot the fire stick.

Reactions: K1_Aikido
Sep 15, 2018
I use to have Suddenlink internet service. Never had any problems. I recently switched to Frontier. What a mistake, I now have problems every day! Not only with my Firestick (when the internet is up and running) but also the internet going down a minimum of 4 times a day!!!! Talk about frustrated and I am now in a 2 year contract!

Feb 3, 2019
The Firestick hosts its own Wi-Fi network for its remote but a design flaw makes it use the same channel as your own Wi-Fi and the interference causes your internet connection to suffer. Even if you change the Wi-Fi channel of your router the stick changes its to match again! Best avoid using the Firestick while it has this flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.