First Things To Do To A New Laptop

qtng0z

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
What are the first things you do (or have to) do when you get your new laptop?

I'm getting my first and new, Lenovo y510p SLI laptop soon and want to know what others usually do before they start downloading and messing around.

Also, would it be advised to downgrade to Windows 7? I heard windows 8 isn't all good.

Solution
i usually remove all the bloatware the manufacturer clutters up the laptop with. and many times i will have people ask me to fix windows 8 for them... classic shell does the job, sometimes they'll ask for a rollback to win7, sometimes i can do it... depends if the drivers are available for the rollback or not.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
i usually remove all the bloatware the manufacturer clutters up the laptop with. and many times i will have people ask me to fix windows 8 for them... classic shell does the job, sometimes they'll ask for a rollback to win7, sometimes i can do it... depends if the drivers are available for the rollback or not.

Solution

bgunner

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
First throw it in the garbage and get a desktop!. No just kidding. the first thing i do is run windows update and update the system to the latest updates. Then I start playing around making sure everything works the way it is supposed to like the touch pad, keys, if you have it the touch screen ect. then i start to look at the bloat ware that the company puts on it. Does it need to be there? if not i remove it.

Windows 8 takes time to get used to and it will depend on what you want to do with the system if it is better to downgrade or not. If you have the touchscreen then keep windows 8 for sure.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
In advance, plan your computer name, administrator/user account names, and passwords.
Make sure Windows critical updates are up to date.
Install anti-virus software if it doesn't come with it.
Once you have it configured the way you like it, back up the hard drive.

Windows 8 has its strengths; however, many users feel more comfortable Windows 7. That is a personal choice.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
If you do it right, I've heard people doing it just fine. However to me it was just extra hassle, not to mention more money spent. And despite the complaints about the start menu, 8 isnt realy all that different from 7, and took maybe a week (2 at the most) to learn the changes between 8 and 7, of which there werent so many.

I usually try and get any antivirus and critical updates installed, then go on a downloading spree for all my normal programs. Sometimes I configure some stuff while I'm downloading other stuff. For my desktop I updated/downloaded drivers before I downloaded programs, because it was self-built and the drivers and stuff were a bit old/not there. In my experience laptops are up to date enough with the drivers they have preloaded that you can do this last.

**Oh, and i also like to remove as much bloatware as possible (on laptops) before I download other programs, so I don't have to sift through a large list of other programs. Lenovo comes with some bloatware, although i've had worse from Dell before

qtng0z

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

What do you recommend for antivirus and other stuff? I usually put in AVG 2014 additions and malware byte anti malware free editions on my desktop. Not really trying to put money on them. Haha.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
avast! is currently the free antivirus champ. it's a bit different from avg, as it's more a set it and forget it antivirus. i usually mix avast! with comodo firewall (comodo is also free... but it will try to install 2 peices of bloatware, which you'll have to deselect... it will try to install the comodo dragon, which is a skinned version of chrome, and it will try to install the geek buddy, it doesn't need either, just jump into the advanced install options and deselect both of those)... that combo does a pretty good job keeping my system clean.