Fixing speaker on an old 45 record player

jag64551

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
I suspect the answer to this question is going to end up being that it's not worth figuring out, but I thought I'd ask. I just bought a little Tele Tone 45 player off of eBay. The speaker is internal and there are no outputs. I'm guessing it's from the 60s. The platter turns, but when you put the needle down the audio is very faint. It sounds to me like it's a shorted speaker issue as opposed to a cartridge issue. If I did want to pursue the speaker issue, would it be possible to rewire it to run sound through a pre amp or through other speakers? Or am I just hosed? I can't find anything on the subject online. Just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for me. Thanks

Solution
First thing is to connect any working speaker to see if you get sound. Then you can find a speaker similar to the original. Don't worry to much about the specs just get something about the same size.
There are ways to connect it to another system but it won't be stereo or sound very good.

clarkjd

Distinguished
Take the old speaker out and see if there is any information on it (impedance, wattage, etc.) You might be able to find a replacement at someplace like Fry's, for only a few dollars. As far as the rewiring it to go to a pre-amp, you would need to know more about the cartridge. some have a line level output and could be plugged directly to a line in on the amplifier.

jag64551

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks for the input. I'm going to check out what's inside. I forgot to mention that the volume knob does not make the volume change at all - it just stays at the same faint level the whole time. Not sure if that means anything or not.

clarkjd

Distinguished

If the speaker is shot, then the volume control would have no effect. It is possible that the real problem is the builtin amplifier is shot, or there may just be a broken wire .

First thing is to connect any working speaker to see if you get sound. Then you can find a speaker similar to the original. Don't worry to much about the specs just get something about the same size.
There are ways to connect it to another system but it won't be stereo or sound very good.

Solution