Fluctuation Frames per Second

lilith002

Great
May 21, 2018
Machine: MSI GS65 Stealth Thin
Specs: i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max-Q, 16GB

Though the laptop never felt too hot, while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider the frames per second dropped from an average of 75fps to 26fps. Playing the game several hours later the fps were back up to 76fps and I was able to game for several hours without issue (aside from some rare stuttering in game).

This morning, fps was back down to fps in the 20's. I ran Cinebench just to see and things seemed fine, and then relaunched the game where inexplicably the fps are back up to 76.

Low and high fps on a cool machine

Lower demand games are also impacted by fps issues. Slightly over month old laptop and virus scans were negative.

I do see the "drastic drop in fps" on tomshardware, but I'm not understanding this fluctuation and why the CPU seems to work just fine one moment and then not the next no matter of temps. Any thoughts?

I am going to have it looked at through the warranty I have. This now is in combination with a few other issues that have come up... of course after the exchange/return period.

lilith002

Great
May 21, 2018

Right...
kGx7RJ3.jpg

ElectrO_90

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
You have to realise computers heat up in a split second, and according to these temps you are running on your MAX, which is why it is throttling.
Check you don't have some weird Malware on your computer by using ZHPCleaner.
Not sure why ever core is being used, which is quite unusual.

lilith002

Great
May 21, 2018

I know they do, so maybe there is a better way for me to explain. I can open up a lower demand game such as Talos and upon entering the game, there were FPS issues even with temps in the low 80's. For Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it took quite a while for the game to even launch, well before the system would heat up. No matter of temperature, performance is an issue with games.

Oddly, I realized that in the launch menu for Shadow, 60Hz was selected instead of the 144Hz. After making the change to 144Hz, the game launches fine and while the temps still max out and there is occasional stuttering in-game when moving from one area to another, FPS have not suffered such massive drops. However, sometimes when exiting the benchmark test, skinny black bars can be seen across a portion of the screen.

I've scanned with Malwarebytes, Norton and Norton Power Eraser. All negative for any malicious content on my laptop.

I've also noticed that my laptop keeps switching between the NVIDIA GPU and the Intel GPU for no apparent reasons.