Focus Not Locking in Viewfinder

jbr1997

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
I have the Rebel T6s. I primarily shoot in P mode and have noticed that half pressing down on the shutter doesn’t lock the focus as all instructions have said it should. When I half press the shutter button it will focus on what’s in the center but then as I recompose the shot the camera will refocus on whatever is in the center. Any idea why I can’t seem to get my camera to lock focus when half pressing the shutter?

Solution
I misunderstood your description. You probably have "follow focus" or continuous focus set in the menus. You need to change the focus to one-shot. IF your particular Canon model doesn't have that, there should be a button on the top right back that can be use for a focus lock.

jbr1997

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

Thank you but this doesn’t solve my problem. I know I can change where the camera chooses to focus, but for some reason the camera is refocusing on other objects in the frame after I have already half pressed down on the shutter button.
Based on my experience with cameras, the camera should not attempt refocus once you’ve half pressed the shutter button. So I’m wondering if there’s some setting that I need to change.

kanewolf

Judicious
I misunderstood your description. You probably have "follow focus" or continuous focus set in the menus. You need to change the focus to one-shot. IF your particular Canon model doesn't have that, there should be a button on the top right back that can be use for a focus lock.

Solution

jbr1997

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017

Thank you so much! I'm an idiot - my camera was set to AI Servo which was causing my problem.