Follow your heart, or Software Engineering?

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hello Everyone!

I would like to know your opinions regarding a good career. I am currently doing software engineering, and while I enjoy the engineering aspect of it (computers, hard ware..installing RAM..etc) I cringe with the word ''programming''. We did Java and I barely understood any of it! The whole concept is really hard to grasp for me and I think I can't imagine myself doing as a job for almost the entire duration of my career.

The degree I really enjoy is Media Design. I love editing/making things. I am also planning to get a minor in film.

These two things are tearing me apart right now. Software Engineering is a nightmare (AND BORING!) for me, but it has VERY high pay and in demand! Media Design, is an ''Artsy'' degree and Art..is..not really in demand, and if you get a job, it may not be very in demand.

Media Design is 3 years, Software Engineering is 4 years...

I would like to ask some advice on which path I should take.

ps- I posted this too on the Work & Education forum so I can get as much insight as possible!

Thanks in advance! :)

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
When I was young a wise man told me that if you are not enjoying your job, or learning something, it is time to change. Over the last 30 years I have worked at many different things, and performed well in all of them, but I have only excelled when I was doing something I enjoyed.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
There's no point forcing yourself into a career that you don't enjoy, especially if you feel you're great at it.

Potential income shouldn't even be a consideration when choosing a career imo. Do what makes you happy.

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I contacted the Media Design faculty and they said their course uses a bit heavy programming for their designs!
Considering those two courses have programming, I think I'd rather get the better one for job hunting in the future.

Does anyone here know any software engineers? If so, I want to talk to him/her.

Thank you

penguin_guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I make web development. Generally write the backend(server-side) scripts. They said their design faculty uses "heavy" programming? :D :D
Did you ask them if they know what the "programming" is?

upd@te

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

They use processing language mainly. But that being said, I think I am now tending towards Software Engineering since they both deal with programming (obviously engineering is harder) but it has more diverse opportunities than Media Design. I am planning to just take a short design course after college, since I already know the basics such as photoshop, video editing...etc.

Do you enjoy your programming work/job? Is it really as BORING as they say it is? How challenging is it, if I may ask?

Thanks! :)

Ijack

Distinguished
Only you can decide whether Software Engineering is boring to you or not. Only you can decide whether you are more interested in money or a job, and hence lfe, that you enjoy.

Personally, if you don't enjoy Software Engineering, I would go with the heart. If you don't enjoy your life all the money in the world won't make it better. And if you don't enjoy your job you probably won't be any good at it anyway; you'll end up as an also-ran rather than one of the high earning high-fliers.

penguin_guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Programming is HEAVEN for people who like it. Cause everytime you learn new things, solve a new problem. There is no copy-paste or prescription in programming. You have to discover it yourself everytime when you encounter a problem in a project. It is challenging and that challenge give its fun. Sometimes you can smell your brain burning because of excessive thinking :)

Job/working is another thing. In some works you do the same things. There is no challenge, no thinking. You do it easily, because you've done it thousands times before. In this regard it begins to be boring. You will become a "laborer" but a "technological laborer". You will work for hours and hours. People and bosses won't understand what you are doing. Your boss will say "Finish this work in 3 days" when there is no possibility that it will finish in 3 days. But you can't blame them. People who are not programming can not know.

For me it is very fun, if i write programs for myself and for fun :) Because you can create something from scratch!(not like God but this is impressive too :)) And you can(also millions of people) can interact with it. But i dont like the endustrial part of it. You do the hard work as programmer but the designers, advertisers get the money. And their work is 10 times easy than programming.

Go for design job.
(But if you think you'll like programming and in your country if they pay high sums of money to programmers you can go for it too)