For Every Style, There’s a Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I got a Kooky Klickers pen for christmas as a gag gift, now I see them all over the place. They're very disturbing, and why are they shaped that way?

All these designer and cutsey USB drives must make IT security a pain in the ass. If your company doesn't allow people to copy files off the company computers (for security reasons), how do you stop someone from taking in one of these completely non-usb looking flash drives?

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I stopped at the 18th picture, when I decided to manufacture a 3-coiled turd USB drive with 256 Mb of memory. People WILL buy it.

G

How do you stop someone from using one of these to computers files off a computer? Well, Windows will let you disable ALL removable storage, if you're looking for a technology-oriented solution. Realistically, though, you have to trust your employees -- if any of them actually *want* to get the information off of a computer, they'll find a way.

Also note that it's been shown that IT personnel tend to have one of the highest rates of both stealing confidential files as well as infecting networks with viruses! (Although I suppose that if the "regular users" are using machines where they really are locked out of doing much of anything harmful, this is a natural consequence...)

Status
Not open for further replies.