Force Dedicated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seton_

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
I have a highest end model of the lenovo y40-80. it has intel hd graphics but also an AMD R9 275X, 4gb gddr3. it always uses the hd graphics and doesnt want to, i can set a program to turn switch over but it doesnt work well. is there a way i can force it to always use the r9, even when on the desktop.

ThomasKK

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Newer laptops have a built-in switch mechanism. If you're simply surfing the internet, watching internet videos etc., the computer will use intel hd graphics chip because it uses less power which leads to longer battery life. When you're gaming, your laptop should automatically switch to your dedicated GPU (r9 275x).
If you want to achieve better performance without a charging cable you can go to power settings and choose power plan, then select high-performance.

If you want to use r9 275x all-the-time, i found similar situation with nvidia, it says:
From NVIDIA Control Panel
3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings
Tab "Global setttings"
Preferred Graphics Processor
Select : High performance NVIDIA rocessor

Check your AMD GPU's software for something like this, there should be a switch.

Edit: or you could try this path
Control Panel > Hardware/Device Manager > Display Adapters > right click Intel HD Graphics and Disable

Seton_

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
Ugh, just checked, my friend has another Lenovo laptop but with a GTX 600 series card, I do not have that option in my control panel. I had an old Acer laptop, similar situation. I used a custom. BIOS to force it. In fortunately it is quite difficult to find one for the y40-80.

Seton_

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
sorry it took me so long, tried that, it only showed the radeon graphics properties but would not switch to the amd card atall, also the intel hd gpu is running worse, i re enabled the intel hd now.

ThomasKK

Commendable
May 1, 2016
I actually don't understand why would you need that? The laptop must be smart enough to change GPUs to the more powerful one when you need more graphical performance.

Seton_

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
it really doesnt, even running gta v at high it only switched when there are alot of things happening. when yo start the game it starts on intel hd, and lets say i blow up a car, itll switch and actuall have a playable fps. so unless i find a way to force the amd gpu constantly it wont work..

ThomasKK

Commendable
May 1, 2016
I found something, try this:

1) Look in Windows Control Panel. You should see Catalyst Control Centre.
2) Open that.
3) Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”
4) Choose an application from the list or browse and select an application and assign the appropriate GPU.

ThomasKK

Commendable
May 1, 2016
maybe try setting all max-performance, high-performance modes wherever you can find it..?

Like windows power settings -> high-performance power plan
Graphics card settings all to best performance.
And plug changing cable into the laptop.

Seton_

Commendable
Aug 30, 2016
every time you flash a bios update you can access the "Advanced" tab. you can force it there. unfortunately you cant flash the bios unless its a newer version.

ThomasKK

Commendable
May 1, 2016
You don't need to flash a newew BIOS, just boot up into BIOS-mode, when you press the button to turn on your pc follow what's written on the screen, it will say something like "Press del to access BIOS" or smth like that on the bottom of the screen or the top, depends on the motherboard. It may be any F key or you can simply spam "Delete" key when PC is being turned on.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241032/how_to_enter_your_pcs_bios.html

Status
Not open for further replies.