Solved! Forced shut-down perspective

fallbalance

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
So last night my new Asus G73JH locked up when installing a driver. I had to force a shut-down (by holding power for 5 seconds).

So, some people seem pretty fanatical about how bad this is for your PC, so I need some input - Should I reformat Windows to be safe? Is there any way to tell if damage was done?

I hate this because in my experience, I ALWAYS have to perform a hard shut-down at some time or another... at least when you like to try different programs, games, and devices... so many programs are just buggy. Does everyone else find this to be the case as well, or am I alone here?

Feedback appreciated.

Solution
In the past I think this was a much bigger issue than it is with the nerwer, more crash proof versions of most opperating systems, I would make sure that any partial files that were created are removed before attempting to reinstall the new driver. To be perfectally honest I don't know that you will notice any real issues unless something was corrupted during the reboot process (i.e. a windows .cab or .dll got damaged as the result of a partial over write before you had to hard reboot). The only time you will see an issue is if that correputed file is being used by more than one process and is accessed. (i.e. Your Driver overwrote a common shared video control .dll that is associated with the current video driver as well). If the...

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi fallbalance,

Well personally I don't think a hard reboot will cause much harm to the system and I don't think you should go to the extent of reformating your Windows.

Cheers,
Holl0w

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
In the past I think this was a much bigger issue than it is with the nerwer, more crash proof versions of most opperating systems, I would make sure that any partial files that were created are removed before attempting to reinstall the new driver. To be perfectally honest I don't know that you will notice any real issues unless something was corrupted during the reboot process (i.e. a windows .cab or .dll got damaged as the result of a partial over write before you had to hard reboot). The only time you will see an issue is if that correputed file is being used by more than one process and is accessed. (i.e. Your Driver overwrote a common shared video control .dll that is associated with the current video driver as well). If the computer is booting fine and you ahve no issues runnign the things you need to I believe in taking a minimalist approach to formatting for my own sake and sanity. I have had the same install of windows XP on my old desk top (2.1 Ghz HP a320n) for like 5 or more years. Unless it dies or starts giving the blue screen of death I like to leave it be. Other people may tweak more often than me, but for msot users I think you will probably only notice a few seconds to minutes on boot up or accessing a file.

Solution

fallbalance

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I've had to do this now and then on every PC I've ever owned... so it must be a pretty common thing that people have to do on occasion I would assume... right?

Its pretty rare for a .cab or .dll to be damaged this way I take it?

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
For the most aprt the only time i have had issues is when a video upgrade or something along those lines failed or if I have gotten a virus on my computer that has overwritten something important. I have never really had this issue on my home computer, but I ahve toasted 2 work computers and had to have them reformatted after patients ahve brought in documents on zip drives or other sources that had viruses on them.

Bottom line I would leave it be unless you are having issues or feel like taking the time to start over. I hate losing stuff and have images of the entire hard drive of every computer I ahve ever owned backed up on my computer. I will rpobably do the same when I replace this desktop soon. It enver pays to be too careful, but there is no point in making more work for yoruself when there are better thigns to do.