Forget iPhone, Add Calling to iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I would enjoy a painful death of apple and tying service to iphone. Especially in this era, I feel like I'm being bullied around this way.

G

Apple did not put a microphone on the Touch for a reason. Hello!!!

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Calling to Japan is more expensive than Iraq? I guess our rebuilding of Iraqi infrastructure is really going somewhere. I wouldn’t be surprise if Iraq has the highest bandwidth internet.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Calling to Japan is more expensive than Iraq? I guess our rebuilding of Iraqi infrastructure is really going somewhere. I wouldn’t be surprise if Iraq has the highest bandwidth internet.[/citation]

Not including hardware costs, the service contract with Bentley-Walker for a 2 Mbps/512 Kbps connection (shared) runs about $3985 per quarter (that's $1330/mo, something to think about next time you complain about your ADSL bill). Of course, I don't pay all that out of pocket; acting as a mini-ISP, I share the uplink with other people who chip in at $80/mo each. With 16 people buying we just about break even on the monthly cost. $80 may seem steep given the quality of the connection, but it's not a bad deal for Iraq. Remember also that the costs mentioned are for an admittedly high-tier plan; lower bandwidth allocations are available for proportionately less cost.
http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/dec/10/internet-iraq/

I would seriously doubt they have the highest bandwidth, or even close. The main form of high-speed internet connection in Iraq is Satellite. My few friends whom are in the service (which is not many) have all complained about how slow the speeds are there. Some who play WoW, tried a few times to log in and just do some quests and found the lag unbearable.

I doubt because it's cheaper to call Iraq, that they have a faster or better telecommunications infrastructure than Japan.

I'd say it's more likely because we have a lot of soldiers there, the rates might be a tad lower so families and soldiers can keep in touch easier and cheaper.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
It's not an application for iPhone nor iPod Touch but rather an online service completely through the integrated webbrowser (Safari). Go to iphone.jajah.com for details.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Except you are tied to wi-fi. So you can call from your house... or from a public wi-fi...

Hmmm...

Usefulness meter striking a zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.