Forgot password on old laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah.mony16

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Hi, I have a HP laptop (HP350) that I haven't used for a number of years.

I pulled it out today as it has all my sons baby pics on it and I want to transfer them to an external hard drive.

However, I have forgotten the password to access it. I think the laptop is running home vista

It there anyway of getting into it?

Saga Lout

Olde English
It's not that we're paranoid; it's that the rules were written for the best reasons. In these circumstances, our suggestion about proving ownership does't break them because our inability to see that proof is one of the main reasons for having the rules.

Personally I would take the disk out and copy and paste the photos to another machine then use the disk for backups. Windows will throw a message that you don't have permission to view these files - click here to get it. Moments later you'll be looking at them.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

If this is a windows password and not a hard disk password
Reading the data off the hard disk is relatively easy.
As is removing the windows password

Its just moderators here are paranoid about the rules.

Go to most professional pc companies with proof of ownership and identity and ask them to clear the windows password for you
This is a bad idea if the data or user account is encrypted

Regards
Mike Barnes

Saga Lout

Olde English
It's not that we're paranoid; it's that the rules were written for the best reasons. In these circumstances, our suggestion about proving ownership does't break them because our inability to see that proof is one of the main reasons for having the rules.

Personally I would take the disk out and copy and paste the photos to another machine then use the disk for backups. Windows will throw a message that you don't have permission to view these files - click here to get it. Moments later you'll be looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 2