Format Hard Drive takes too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sipno

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi, I have a hard drive (an HGST 500gb with 7200RPM) connected with a SATA to USB cable.
After 2,5 hours of waiting to be formated (not the quick format), I cancelled the procedure.
Is it too long or is it my idea? Is there a faster way to format the drive instead of the typical windows way(right click on the drive in my computer-properties, format)?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Sata to USB will slow down the process a bit, but normal formatting usually takes a few hours yes. So your time is normal. If you really want to fully format your disk (so it will write random numbers so your old data can't be recovered easily, and it will check for bad sectors) it will take a few hours.

If you just want an empty disk use 'quick format'.

Jasjar

Estimable
Nov 24, 2015
Choose quick format, format does not format the drive "better" it just takes a lot longer because it is looking for bad sectors. If you must use format you are going to have to wait. You should have waited for another half an hour, your drive would of formatted by then.

gervino

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Sata to USB will slow down the process a bit, but normal formatting usually takes a few hours yes. So your time is normal. If you really want to fully format your disk (so it will write random numbers so your old data can't be recovered easily, and it will check for bad sectors) it will take a few hours.

If you just want an empty disk use 'quick format'.

Solution

Sipno

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

Ok thanks, I am doing the format procedure again. It's been up to 3 hours and it's on 50 percent

gervino

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

Yup, it's a long process haha. Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.