FOX: Repeat File Sharers Should Have Internet Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yes, dont address the problem, band-aid fix it. :|
banning those that are sharing and getting caught, doesn't do anything. they aren't the ones making the wares.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
"While that may be the case, the reasoning behind why consumers share files rarely is discussed. Perhaps if the movie industry actually lowered the prices of films, theaters could reduce the cost of admission. If consumers could actually afford to see a movie, perhaps then they would be least likely to hunt it down on torrents. Piracy is bad, but gouging the consumer is even worse."

An excellent point and exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they should look at themselves first. I'm sure if they stopped paying actors ridiculous amounts of money they could lower ticket prices.

darknova_

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
some consumers may be in the wrong for pirating the industry except the induestry is also in the wrong for not listening to consumers

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Those guys don't get it : most people who pirate are people WHO CAN'T BUY.

They won't make more money with that kind of practice....
I i was in their place: I'd find a way to sell stuff cheaper or something: some money is better then no money.

I guess they pay millions (uselessly) for the CEO that claims these things....

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The government could try to step into telling ISPs who they can and can't have as customers, but I can guarantee it'll get sticky.

Not to mention that you could not stop one person from access to the internet while we have internet cafes, libraries, and schools. The reality of internet access is limitless to those with a computer. If they want access, they'll find it.

FOX sucks ftw.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I love how these CEOs are always coming with European status quo, but they always neglect to throw in the other side of the coin - that consumers have far greater protection over there as well. If the US government wants to change the laws on this or that, they better be prepared to satisfy both sides, not just the greedy media executives.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
But at least there's some hope: ISPs can track down offending IPs and send subscribers warnings.

I can also guarantee that this would be a breach of privacy for ISPs to monitor what you're downloading. Keeping track of bandwidth is one thing, but to mark down what people are downloading is another.

Not to mention that if it were possible to track illegal internet activity to the letter, and ISPs were to report illegal activity to the government as to shut down the customer, who is it to say that the ISP wouldn't just "overlook" it so they can keep a paying customer?... This sounds like something the government would have to go out of their way to track, not the ISPs.

G

For every person who gets banned, I'll double my downloads. I'll download garbage I don't even want (aka 99% of the movies that are put out) just to spite you.

Tompool

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I think that this legislation would be really annoying and dumb, but I know a lot of people that would stop pirating if it became law. Piracy is an illegal act of opportunity, if you take away the opportunity by enforcing strict laws across the board it may decrease.

I actually thing that the movie and music industry should push for legislation that would allow them to contact pirates and force them to pay for the stolen product at full price, and if the individual decides not to do so, they can sue everything they have.

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
This isn't exclusively fox stating this, Basically all film studios and music companies have been screaming this for years.

I think it should just be increasing fines for piracy. Start off with a $1k fine and increase it by 10x for the next offense after losing. The money from the fine should first go towards paying for a copy of each movie/music file that was being shared(only 1) and the rest of the money should go into funding a federal department whose job it is to track down piracy. I don't think they should have any outside funding after the first year though. If piracy is really bad they can have a large department to go after people, if/when there is less of it they have to lay people off. But of course this couldn't happen in our retarded bureaucracy.... oh well.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
PFFFT! Put movie makers on level ground? How about we drag the recoding industry off it's high throne and put them on level ground where they can't insert themselves into politics and lobby around to sue people more than they're worth, and or pester until they get their way. Then maybe they'd stop cheating the consumer and earn their money for real.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]I can also guarantee that this would be a breach of privacy for ISPs to monitor what you're downloading. Keeping track of bandwidth is one thing, but to mark down what people are downloading is another.Not to mention that if it were possible to track illegal internet activity to the letter, and ISPs were to report illegal activity to the government as to shut down the customer, who is it to say that the ISP wouldn't just "overlook" it so they can keep a paying customer?... This sounds like something the government would have to go out of their way to track, not the ISPs.[/citation]

The problem here is that the ISP's don't care as long as you pay your bills, HOWEVER, all of a sudden they care when they get a letter from the MPAA or RIAA saying they want XXX million dollars, or the names of people pirating on they're connections. This is the problem.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
They want to the power to slam somebody with a perma-ban without due judicial process. What recourse does someone have if they are not the actual sharer but have been used by a hacker to route the files instead? None if Fox, MPAA, and RIAA have their way. And all at government expense. Now who is robbing who??

Skid

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
The big movie and music companys are always first to say it hurts independent film makers, but independent film makers are nearly always the first to thank piracy for boosting exposure to there film and generating them more money from people then going and buying products relating to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS