Foxconn Allegedly Hid Underage Workers During Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does anyone really wonder anymore why American companies are flinging money at China? No worker protection, no environmental protection, nothing at all to get in the way of massive profits. And the Chinese government doesn't care, this is all a bid to be become a world powerhouse, and we're feeding that ambition to make a few extra bucks. I bet we'll all be surprised when China takes over the world. But at least our companies' stockholders will have made a few extra bucks while selling out the future...

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]all aplle fanbois want is the iphone 5 and the maxipad 3. they don't care if an 8 year old or a 40 year old assembles it. just like the nike crowd[/citation]

This is China's problem. Why do people think everything is America's problem? Why does any company have a duty to ensure how its suppliers are doing business? It's not like Apple projects this humanitarian, green image, so what's the problem?

Blame the Chinese government for not doing anything. But no, this of course is 100% Apple's fault. The Chinese government is filled with angels.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Seriously, all China is good for is cheap labor. Without it, they wouldn't be close to the position that they are now so I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

G

As components get smaller, they will need tinier and tinier children assembling their products...

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This shouldn't just be targeted toward Apple, considering there are dozens of other companies that use foxconn and should also step up.

I mean I wouldn't want to pay American workers to make an iPad, that thing would cost well over $1000

G

I would be happy to buy apple products, if they bring manufacturing jobs back to the USA. They have more cash reserves than what the US government has, so it shouldn't be much of a financial excuse to do so. Look at intel, they still build factories in the US and making high quality products at a profit.

xkm1948

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
[citation][nom]doublearg[/nom]Does anyone really wonder anymore why American companies are flinging money at China? No worker protection, no environmental protection, nothing at all to get in the way of massive profits. And the Chinese government doesn't care, this is all a bid to be become a world powerhouse, and we're feeding that ambition to make a few extra bucks. I bet we'll all be surprised when China takes over the world. But at least our companies' stockholders will have made a few extra bucks while selling out the future...[/citation]

Chinese has no intention to take over the world. Now they are more concerned about how to survive their completely polluted environment.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have bought many apples during the years... decades...
they are "manufactured" on a tree of some kind I hear...

How's that tree called...
I just called an Apple Tree, is free of "i"'s, free of work violations, and they taste great!

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]This shouldn't just be targeted toward Apple, considering there are dozens of other companies that use foxconn and should also step up.I mean I wouldn't want to pay American workers to make an iPad, that thing would cost well over $1000[/citation]

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure you don't need to understand quantum physics to assemble it. I'm quite sure the average worker earning minimum wage in America is more intelligent than a Chinese child working for $0.25/hour. The only major difference is the employment benefits and insurance which could be partially avoided through part time work anyway.

But it would do wonders for the American economy. Sure the cost of products would go up, but people would also have more money to spend on said products. We'd be feeding our own economy and not the third world's.

Instead of having a "duty" to fix every other country, let's try to focus on ourselves for once. Companies in the states should have a greater duty to not harm the American economy, than to protect human rights in countries that have nothing to do with us. Why do we have to be Martyrs and sacrifice ourselves while the rest of the world stands by and waits?

That's why I always propose that for the holidays or gift occasions, instead of buying gift cards for people to purchase cheap chinese crap, buy them a voucher to have a repair, modification, etc done on their home, car, lawn, whatever. Just as long as the majority of the money is spent advancing OUR economy.

Think of your family. Your children and their children will thank you in the long run.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]This is China's problem. Why do people think everything is America's problem? Why does any company have a duty to ensure how its suppliers are doing business? It's not like Apple projects this humanitarian, green image, so what's the problem?Blame the Chinese government for not doing anything. But no, this of course is 100% Apple's fault. The Chinese government is filled with angels.[/citation]

Its standard ethics.... You knowingly contract a business that engages in unethical practices makes the all parties fully responsible. The focus should not rest completely on Apple's shoulders since HP, Dell, and many many other hardware makers rely on Foxconn to create their products. All parties are guilty and should make TREMENDOUS efforts to improve on the moral, work conditions, and employment practices at Foxconn. Foxconn does not have the power in these situations. Without the contracts Foxconn will cease to exist. Without Foxconn, these electronic manufactures will find other methods of mass production.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]shardey[/nom]I mean I wouldn't want to pay American workers to make an iPad, that thing would cost well over $1000[/citation]

This does not excuse child labor. The harsh conditions and long hours of work is not healthy for the child and it also completely blocks the child from ever getting a proper education. No child should be neglected a proper education and a chance to become what they truly want.

I would rather pay $1,000 for a iPad even if it still came from China if it meant not screwing over even a single child for my own personal first world enjoyments. I think it is sickening that our society is willing to sacrifice the well-being of children to save ourselves a few dollars.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Its standard ethics.... You knowingly contract a business that engages in unethical practices makes the all parties fully responsible. The focus should not rest completely on Apple's shoulders since HP, Dell, and many many other hardware makers rely on Foxconn to create their products. All parties are guilty and should make TREMENDOUS efforts to improve on the moral, work conditions, and employment practices at Foxconn. Foxconn does not have the power in these situations. Without the contracts Foxconn will cease to exist. Without Foxconn, these electronic manufactures will find other methods of mass production.[/citation]

Then go protest in China or try to pass legislation there. Until their government starts giving a damn, why should I?

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Obviously if they know an inspection is coming they're going to try and fix everything that can fail them. That's why these inspections are usually done unannounced.

txsouthpaw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Then go protest in China or try to pass legislation there. Until their government starts giving a damn, why should I?[/citation]

That's incredibly insightful. Apathy is one of the key indicators of stupidity and arrogance. Go sit in a GOP debate audience where you belong.

G

There are many kids in this country that could use a job in a factory. Rather than simply sit around playing games and getting fat. Noone wants to see any kids "abused", but having a job isn't necessarily abuse.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
It all comes down to one word: GREED!
People around the world are the same. They all motivated by GREED. Doesn't matter if it is the Chinese or the Americans. Hey you all Americans, go watch "Food Inc". It is a documentary about the food industry in America. Also go watch "Inside Job". It is a documentary about how the American bank and insurance company brought down the world economy in 2008. GREED is the driving force; whether it is GREED for money, power, sex, or etc. IT IS ALL GREED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS