FPS drop and CPU usage drop while playing any game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadesters

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Brand new Acer laptop with Windows 7, core i5-520m, 4gb ddr3 memory, 1GB ati radeon HD mobility 5650 graphics card. While playing any game, CoD4 to WoW, i get really high FPS, then all of a sudden, any game will freeze for a second or 2, then back to high FPS. Now this laptop is only a couple of days old. It's a brand new install of Windows 7 with barely any software. Drivers are current, power management is high performance with CPU set to max 100%.

At first I thought it might be the memory loading a new area or something causing it to freeze, but I can stand still in either game and it will happen. It happens about once every 2 minutes, lasts from 1 - 3 seconds, and I opened up task manager to see if that could point me in the right direction, and I got an interesting result. The CPU usage was good (like 50-60) then all of a sudden it drops to very low usage then its back up again. This coincides with all the freezes.

So my question is, what could cause the CPU to dip like that in the middle of playing any game? I'm at a loss here, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

jgrissom21

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Found this article while trying to figure out the exact problem when I'm playing WOW. I have dual monitors so I set the Task Manager up on the second screen to watch it.

When the problem (lag, drop in FPS) occurs the WoW-64.exe process drops from about 30% down to around 3%.

Has anyone solved this yet?

I will be relentlessly searching for a solution and if I find anything I will report back.

Intel Quad Core CPU 2.66GHz
4GB Crucial Ballistic Ram
2 320Gb WD Hard Drives Striped
nVidia GeForce 9800GT
Windows Experience Index - 6.9

John

jgrissom21

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

My apologies, I found the problem but forgot to post. It was my video card over heating. I downloaded nVidia system tools and had it running in my second monitor. I can't remember the exact temperature but as soon as I would get the FPS drop I noticed the GPU temperature was something like 92°C. I removed the case, took a shop vac and blew the video card (fan and heat sink) off really really good. Moved some cables around to help increase air flow and problem solved.
How this helps. Happy Thanksgiving!

Redheadsrule13

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Nice to hear you got it fixed. That doesn't seem to be the cause for me. I watched my temps and I was never going over 50 degrees on my GPU. It seems that it was some overclocking software that was being dysfunctional and OC'ing my card too high, even though I had set it to run at stock. I've uninstalled that software and it seems like it's working fine.

jgrissom21

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Cool! :) - Glad you got yours working. At least now people with this problem has a few options to check. Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!

Slambour Lee

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I have a problem with my notebook. I just downloaded the game and installed.
when i played for the first time, its run smoothly. But, for thirt time, its so laggy. My CPU running in 75%-80%. Can someone solve it?

intel i3 3770
ram 6gb
nvidia gt610

Kasik

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Well i had a same problem playin with 150fps then drops to 30 for few sec. and then gone back to normal... I seached a lot on internet and its overheating of your CPU whne it gets over 80 degrees it starts to work in cycles so power of CPU goes brutally down and i fixed it with changing in battery mode advanced options look for Intel graphics Settings and make sure its both on ballanced . For me this was cousing overheating...