FRAPS video lag at 1080/60, but no gameplay lag

ViddyD

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
As the title describes, I am trying to record at 1920x1080p with 60fps. The game plays fine while I'm recording due to my Haswell i5, GTX 760 SC, 8gb of ram and an ssd to boot, but when I watch the video it's horrendously laggy, like a slideshow. I'm recording to a separate internal 7200rpm hdd with sata 3.0. If it makes a difference, I record a second track of audio with a usb powered mic along with the game's audio (listening through headphones).

When I drop the recorded frame rate to 30fps the playback video is just peachy, but has some periodic white lines appear real quick on the far left of the screen. I also noticed the screen starts to shake, but I only noticed that during the game Vanish so it might have been part of the game, haha.

The game itself is never laggy so I'm not sure any upgrades would help it, but I'm not sure.

Solution
Your drive may be having trouble playing back the 60fps data. It may have also fragmented(fragments can kill video playback performance at such high data rates) on its way to the drive leading to even more skips.

I would guess you are close to 4-5 gigabytes(1920 x 1200 @ 30 fps averages about 2.6 gigabytes per minute) of data power minute at that frame rate.

Best bet is to try to compress it with 3rd party software to another format(smaller size) to see if it is better when the software is compressing it is not requiring real time frames so if the video it self is good, you will have an output that is smooth and not jumpy.

Sometimes the 30fps recording exaggerates things like in game motion blur effects.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Your drive may be having trouble playing back the 60fps data. It may have also fragmented(fragments can kill video playback performance at such high data rates) on its way to the drive leading to even more skips.

I would guess you are close to 4-5 gigabytes(1920 x 1200 @ 30 fps averages about 2.6 gigabytes per minute) of data power minute at that frame rate.

Best bet is to try to compress it with 3rd party software to another format(smaller size) to see if it is better when the software is compressing it is not requiring real time frames so if the video it self is good, you will have an output that is smooth and not jumpy.

Sometimes the 30fps recording exaggerates things like in game motion blur effects.

Solution

ViddyD

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Perfect! I compressed it with VirtualDub and the finished file was not only buttery smooth but WAY smaller than I thought it was gonna be (from 4.68 GB to 129 MB). Oh, and you were close, it was a 1 minute 28 second video, so FRAPS recorded at a little over 3GB per minute at that rate. Thanks, man!