Fried laptop USB ports

fiazshahb

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Hi all, I have a Acer aspire one 725 laptop who's use ports I shorted out about a year ago. The laptop worked however the USB 3.0 port stopped working and the 2 standard USB ports worked but provided less current. Yesterday I accidently shorted out of those ports (yes I'm stupid) and now neither of them work. Funny thing is though, nearly a year after being inactive, the USB 3.0 is working again. So just to be clear I know only have 1 working USB port out of 3. Any ideas of a fix and an explanation as to how dead USB 3.0 port has come back to life after another short?
Plus laptop works fine

Lutfij

Splendid
I think you're situation is where you're misinterpreting the USB ports as being shorted where in reality it's possible that the USB ports are faulty due to corrupt drivers. I could rule that assumption out if you could state what you might have done to consider the ports being shorted? I don't think you'd take a paper clip with 5A on the line and pick at the USB port(s)...or would you?

Secondly, what OS are you on?

fiazshahb

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I used a faulty usb cable about a year ago which caused the initial short and yes, a few days ago I was silly enough to stick a screwdriver in there and I did see a spark. The drivers are all fine trust me, I'm using win 10. I'm not entirely bothered because the USB 3.0 is fine. I'm guessing I could have tripped a circuit designed to stop me shorting out the entire laptop.