From speaker to computer...

Mythstatic

Estimable
May 31, 2015
So there are these two wall mounted speakers. The wires that come out of these speakers are a copper red and a copper black, both spliced. What jack / piece do I need to buy to connect this copper to so I can plug it into my computer using a basic headphone plug-in (3.5mm?) Thanks ahead of time.

Solution
Long story short it really depends on the type of speakers you are attempting to drive, their efficiency, and your headphone out power capacity. As others have mentioned "most likely" un-amplified, the speakers won't produce to their capacity. The "best" alternative would be to power them via an audio receiver, which you could acquire fairly cheap at a pawn shop that accepts some form of stereo input, the easiest would be to send audio to the receiver via a 3.5mm to RCA cable from you computer to the receiver. Then you would simply have to plug the speakers into the receiver, and adjust the volume to your liking. The added bonus here would be you could tweak the sound to your liking via the receiver bass and treble knobs.

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
If you have an old or broken pair of headphones that you don't plan on using anymore, you could cut the earbuds off and replace it with your other speakers. Don't short the cable, use some electrical tape to ensure the negative/positive copper parts don't touch each other.

Pedasc

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
It is doubtful that the headphone jack will have enough juice to power the speakers. They are undoubtedly a great deal larger than your standard headphone speakers and were designed for an outside amp. If you got sound at all it would be quite quiet.

If you still want to try the only way I can think this would work is by taking a stereo 3.5mm cable, strip the wires. Then you would have to connect the wires up to the stripped ends.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... This is a solder able jack... https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11143
Here is a breakout board... https://acrobotic.com/categories/boards/brk-00005

You would tie the speakers Black - together and connect to Sleeve.
You would connect left + to the tip.
You would connect right + to the ring.

But results will be must better if you would use a receiver input and output between... http://www.planetdj.com/i--CMR-&?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=product%20ads&utm_content=googlebase
Use the Tape/DVD/CD/SAT inputs, on the receiver, from your Computer sound card.

You can find used cheap receivers at Pawn shops, Garage sales, Goodwill's, Recycle stores...

Pedasc

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
Actually you may be able to hook up a cheap stereo amp of the kind you would find in a car/motorcycle that has a 3.5mm input and use it to drive your speakers. If you don't need all the options of a receiver some of those can get pretty cheap.

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Long story short it really depends on the type of speakers you are attempting to drive, their efficiency, and your headphone out power capacity. As others have mentioned "most likely" un-amplified, the speakers won't produce to their capacity. The "best" alternative would be to power them via an audio receiver, which you could acquire fairly cheap at a pawn shop that accepts some form of stereo input, the easiest would be to send audio to the receiver via a 3.5mm to RCA cable from you computer to the receiver. Then you would simply have to plug the speakers into the receiver, and adjust the volume to your liking. The added bonus here would be you could tweak the sound to your liking via the receiver bass and treble knobs.

Solution