Front Pannel Audio Cracking and malfunctioning in general

matora

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I just finished my first desktop build and I am experiencing some problems with the front audio jack that I can't seem to be able toresolve.
The audio seems to be there, but it sounds distorted with some cracking in it. Normally people's voices sound from afar. I tested the audio using the Realtek HD Audio Manager selected different option without good results.
I could hear the sound test fine no cracking, though it doesn't seem to recognize stereo there, instead it plays sound mono. Windows sounds seem to work just fine.
Back audio plug plays just fine. Stereo no problem.

I went to the Mobo's website to update the audio driver, I didn't really help.

I connected the Azalia (Intel High Definition Audio) to the Front Panel Audio Header
Any suggestions? Would I have to RMA it?

Case: Cooler Master Storm Sniper
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
BIOS Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
DD3 Memory: 16268MB RAM

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go into Control Panel/Sound. Right click on your Speakers/Headphones and then Configure Speakers. Verify your speakers are properly configured. You are describing a system (possibly) configured for 5.1 speakers and you may only be using 2.0 or 2.1 speakers.

matora

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I actually checked there already, I used also the Realtek tool to verify it wasn't this the issue, I went to the BIOS and everything seems fine there also. Right now it is set up to Stereo and still having the same problem. The speakers aren't the problem (connected in the rear jack) though, the front panel connector (audio) for the headphones is

everlost

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
you said it plays sound mono... did you lose a screw and try shaking the case to get it out? could you have pinched some wires closing things up? if you can get to the front panel audio board, see if you have something shorting some pins.