G,H and many other Keys Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalSpartian

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
So recently my laptop keyboard was working fine but then suddenly a couple of keys stopped working. The keys that stopped working was 5, 6, the - button, the + button, the ~ button, esc, all the f1-10(this could be false and the could just be the fn button), 8 and 0 on the numpad, ctrl, alt, the " button, the g, and the h key. ( Sorry for listing them all but I'm desperate for an answer). The really weird thing is that the buttons "work". If I would press "fgh" together it would produce "fj". And only pressed together would they form "fj". And if I press "gh7" it would produce "47". There are many other combinations using different keys and getting different combinations. I have searched all over the Internet and many others have the EXACT problem, but with no solution. This is very baffling and very frustrating. I have tried many things to try and solve it including system restore, cleaning the keys for gunk, shutting down the laptop and taking out the battery and putting it back in, and uninstalling the keyboard from Device Manager. I am at my wit's end and am desperate for an answer. I would very much appreciate it any working answer.

Solution
Buy or borrow an external USB keyboard. Plug it in. If that one types just fine, then your laptop's keyboard is defective and you will need to replace it.

That's normal. A keyboard doesn't have a separate wire for each key. Each key is hooked up to 2 or sometimes even 3 wires, and it's the combination of the activated wires which tells the keyboard which key was pressed. If you press multiple keys together, you can fake out the keyboard into...

Kayneth

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
There's a chance that the ribbon which connects your keyboard onto the laptop may have come loose.
Try removing the keyboard from the laptop and re-seating the ribbon cable again. You should be able to find a guide on the process for your laptop on youtube, since it's important that you position the ribbon cable properly.

I had the same problem about an year ago, and doing the above fixed it for me.

RoyalSpartian

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I have already tried this with no avail. I also heard this was a solution to the problem but it didn't work. Can you go into more detail what you did to the ribbon cable. I just took it out, cleaned it a little, trimmed a little ( heard that could work too), and put it back in. But yet it was still the same

RoyalSpartian

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
This would not be a viable option because I have many games on my laptop and those games take a really long time to download. Also it's not a good idea to factory reset a laptop just for a keyboard if I can just buy a new keyboard.

Buy or borrow an external USB keyboard. Plug it in. If that one types just fine, then your laptop's keyboard is defective and you will need to replace it.

That's normal. A keyboard doesn't have a separate wire for each key. Each key is hooked up to 2 or sometimes even 3 wires, and it's the combination of the activated wires which tells the keyboard which key was pressed. If you press multiple keys together, you can fake out the keyboard into thinking certain key(s) were pressed. This is the dreaded keyboard ghosting effect that gamers hate.

https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

95% of the time I see your problem, someone has spilled liquid onto the keyboard. (And 80% of the time the person denies they spilled any liquid, but when I open up the keyboard there is spilled liquid in it.) If the problem started suddenly and within a few days, you can try letting the keyboard dry out. Since it sounds like you know how to take apart the laptop and remove the keyboard, remove it, aim a fan at it, and let it air out for a few days. See if that resurrects it.

If the external keyboard works and you decide to try replacing the laptop keyboard, search on eBay for a keyboard for your model laptop. Most models are available at a reasonable price.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS