Galaxy Ace "is bricked"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowerman

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hi

I own a Galaxy Ace, still under contract. They told me to upgrade the phones software using the Kies software that came with the phone, to save it being sent to one of their repair centres. Which I did and I followed their instructions to the letter, with one of their technical team on the phone as I did what they told me to.

Something went very, very wrong. When i took the device to the shop so it could send it for repair. The assistant said "it's bricked, but the repairs team should be able to re-install things again". I wasn't sure that could be done.

It is going to be away for repair for a couple of weeks. I was wondering if a bricked phone could be repaired, simply by reinstalling the original software. As I am severely missing my device.

Many Thanks

WHO told you to upgrade software using kies software? if the software came from your provider it should work and not brick a phone.

phones are normally only bricked when you mess up with either rooting a phone or installing a rom.

that said, what they will probably do is to try and start the phone up in recovery mode and re-load the stock rom to it. they might be able to pull back some of the data on the phone as well but you will probably have to download and install any apps.

fowerman

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I was told some time back by my provider to use kies, which i didn't do at that time, then decided to give it a go. Then something went wrong and when i tried to connect the phone again to the kies software it would not connect at all, then the phone would not switch on either.

Thanks for making things clearer about the bricking part as i wasn't trying to root it, have heard all sorts of things going wrong when doing that, my provider said there was a software upgrade available via kies, rather than sending my phone away for it to be done.

I never liked kies as it took way to long for the program to load and there was always a lag after selection of options etc.

you have given me some hope that all could be well, i can cope with reinstalling everything if it means my phone comes back working, so thanks for your time and explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.