Galaxy Note 8 won't power on

whoisrtp

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
How do I know if it's a battery or motherboard issue? Just stopped working without any warning, and none of these 'Power + Volume and/or Home button' tricks work (for me or the UBreakIFix guys). I'll order a replacement battery and change it myself, but if it's a motherboard issue, I won't bother. This is model # GT-N5110, almost 2.5 years old.

Solution
There is no way to really tell if it is one or the other without testing it. Once you get the new battery you will be able to see if that is the problem.

You should also check to make sure it isn't the power cord. They do go bad as well. If you can, try a different cord. Also I would check to make sure there is nothing in the charger port on the tablet that could be prohibiting it. Dust, food, etc.

If none of that fixes it, you may need the port and/or motherboard replaced. If the port is not directly attached to the motherboard, a few aren't, then you could just have that changed. However, if it is attached to the motherboard, well then that would need replacing.

There is no way to really tell if it is one or the other without testing it. Once you get the new battery you will be able to see if that is the problem.

You should also check to make sure it isn't the power cord. They do go bad as well. If you can, try a different cord. Also I would check to make sure there is nothing in the charger port on the tablet that could be prohibiting it. Dust, food, etc.

If none of that fixes it, you may need the port and/or motherboard replaced. If the port is not directly attached to the motherboard, a few aren't, then you could just have that changed. However, if it is attached to the motherboard, well then that would need replacing.

Solution

whoisrtp

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks very much. Tried with multiple cords, including original and fast-charging. No dice. Port is attached to motherboard. If I can return OEM battery, if that doesn't resolve it, I'll do that. Otherwise I'll get a new tablet, maybe a Nexus. Thanks again.

dinew30

Estimable
Jul 15, 2014
I just wanted to let everyone know... i had the same issue on my n5110. i repair devices... i have replaced the usb port, battery, power button, and motherboard to no avail really. when i do the old battery stand-by of wetting the (in this case) connectors it will turn on for about 10 seconds (the circle logo makes almost a full circle) then shuts off until i wet the connectors again. so may not be getting a solid connection with battery.

another person said disconnect the battery (and charge cable) and press power to drain excess power from mobo... then plug in battery and turn on. tried it and nothing. i have been researching and testing theories for over 2months now with no luck. my next step will be to find some sort of way to 'bridge' the gap on the battery connector.