Galaxy S3 charging from computer but not from wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggaby

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Title says it all: my Galaxy S3 will not charge from a wall outlet but will charge from my computer. When I plug it in the wall, it continually disconnects and reconnects. I had thought the problem with my phone was with the plug hardware, and was about to pay for it to get fixed, but this behaviour implies to me that it's maybe a software issue...?

Solution
I don't follow your logic.

You don't use the mains plug when charging from a computer, so that implies it's the mains plug that's faulty.

You won't find anyone willing to repair the plug as there's no point since it isn't an expensive item to replace if you buy online for example.

You just buy a replacement mains charger. Doesn't have to be same make/model as the original one, just the same output values (volts & amps). USB cellphone chargers are available just about anywhere.

Available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHARGER-SAMSUNG-GALAXY-CELLAPOD-CHARGERS/dp/B007UOGF4O

It costs less than £4, it would cost a lot more than that to have faulty one repaired even if you find a place to get the repair done - - absolutely pointless.

buggaby

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

Sorry, I missed some of the details I suppose.

I have a phone and several charging/syncing USB cables. I have a couple USB adapters for the main outlet. The adapters work since I can use each of them to charge a tablet and my other phone. The cables work, since they charge both as well. All the computer ports work for all devices. The only combination that doesn't work is wall-adapter-cord-Galaxy. But I know that the adapter and cord are not the weak points. The phone is must be (somehow).

So it can't be the charging hardware. And it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue on the phone, otherwise the phone wouldn't charge from the computer so easily. So that means software?

Also, the phone has an insurance policy on it, so we can get it fixed, but the deductible is $100. So if it's a simple software issue, I can fix it myself. Our plan is to do a factory reset, but we have to back up files which takes some time to arrange around the busy work schedule. Was hoping someone here would have a thought.

PekkaJ

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014

Solution

buggaby

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

d1x13D00

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
I have same problem. Also i know its not the plug because the same plug will charge other phone. Will charge when connected to laptop using usb cable but refuses to when the usb cable is plugged into plug!!

You don't use the mains plug when charging from a computer, so that implies it's the mains plug that's faulty.

[/quotemsg]

Sorry, I missed some of the details I suppose.

I have a phone and several charging/syncing USB cables. I have a couple USB adapters for the main outlet. The adapters work since I can use each of them to charge a tablet and my other phone. The cables work, since they charge both as well. All the computer ports work for all devices. The only combination that doesn't work is wall-adapter-cord-Galaxy. But I know that the adapter and cord are not the weak points. The phone is must be (somehow).

So it can't be the charging hardware. And it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue on the phone, otherwise the phone wouldn't charge from the computer so easily. So that means software?

Also, the phone has an insurance policy on it, so we can get it fixed, but the deductible is $100. So if it's a simple software issue, I can fix it myself. Our plan is to do a factory reset, but we have to back up files which takes some time to arrange around the busy work schedule. Was hoping someone here would have a thought.[/quotemsg]

caohilipnat

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Our plan is to do a factory reset, but we have to back up files which takes some time to arrange around the busy work schedule. Was hoping someone here would have a thought
CYbOsn

lionfish

Estimable
Jul 27, 2014
Hello,
I've got an identical problem with an old HTC desire phone, which for several months I had given up on (assuming something wrong had happened with the socket, charging circuit or battery). Today, I stuck it into the USB socket on the laptop and it started charging. Completely weird. (I've tried it in 3 different wall chargers - one via the same usb cable to rule out the cable).

I've two theories:

1. I wonder if USB Debugging or some other software on the phone is causing problems.

2. This is my favourite, but is a long shot. Besides data and id, there's +ve and -ve pins on the usb cable. There's also the shield. I imagine a lot of designers would connect the shield to the negative pin (just had a look online, there's some uncertainty but eg. http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=58811 ). If the negative pin connection on the phone's socket was broken (e.g. a solder-point failure etc) then, if the shield was connected to ground at both ends it would luckily provide an alternative route. I imagine on a laptop the shield is also grounded. I wonder however, maybe in wall-chargers the shield is not grounded: So when you connect it to those chargers the -ve can't get to the phone, and so it can't charge. Just an idea, not sure how to prove it at the moment (just moved to Kampala, and don't have my electronic equipment, but anyone with a multimeter could check if the shield is connected when plugged into different chargers.

kmleghari

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
Its cable isue lot of cables didn't charge samsung galexy s3 so u may go to bazar and try different usb 3 cables some cheap cables charge the mobile and some best can't it is compatability isue on other hands s4 and s5 charge on every cable no isue with charger every charger charge s3 but u need compatible cable.

CaraLee

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014

braveheart09

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015

Hey did you find the solution to this problem?
I am exactly having the same with my galaxy core
can you help me here

waus

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
I have exactly the same issue with my S3. It started right after I tried to collect and decrypt my WhatsApp backups from my phone with a solution I found on "onhax.net/whatsapp-backup-decrypter". That required to use ADP and to set USB debugging to True. So I activated the "Developers options" menu (Google tells you how), set this option and tried the tool I mentioned. Didn't work. A bit stupid maybe to try such a tool.

So I don't know why this was mentioned earlier by one or two others, but I also think that the USB debugging or other advanced developers options caused the trouble.

Sorry, no solution, I'm thinking about a new ROM or factory reset if I don't find the solution within a week.... :-(

Lawuie

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I was the same problem with sony .. in my opinion it is problem with plug in the mobile phone .. my solve was open the charger and join metal case with ground .. in the PC it is so .. I'm sorry for my english and I hope that I helped ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.