Galaxy S3 - how to clean camera lens?

Jexter

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hi

I have been tasked with fixing my brothers Samsung Galaxy S3. Unfortunately he sat on his phone by accident which resulted in a smashed piece of glass that protects the lens on the S3.

See this Pic:
http://i.imgur.com/cIBBZ7n.jpg

Anyway I just ordered a spare part, and it should be an easy fix. However because of the broken glass a lot of dust and other nasty stuff has accumulated on the lens itself so my question is - Before putting on the new spare part - How do I clean the lens in the best possible way? At first I thought of using a tiny bit of Denatured alcohol on some q-tips and simply just going over the lens with that, but I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad idea.

Any suggestions? :)

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
It should be, but I'd recommend isopropyl alcohol instead. It's much cleaner. You can get a 500ml bottle at your local drug store for about three dollars.

Denatured alcohol can have all sorts of additives - methanol, pyridine, syrup of ipecac, boric acid, the list goes on. In some countries they even require that it be dyed bright colors because of the toxicity.

Jexter

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well I live in Denmark and I'm not sure but I think that they only add whatever is written on the bottle since there is strict rules both inside of Denmark and in the EU about stuff like that. But anyway I went out and bought a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol 99% just to be on the safe side :)