Galaxy S3 reset to factory specs cannot connect to any wifi. Says authentication error but password is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsuo212

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Not a problem with password or router. Went to Mcdonalds to see if would connecf there but i also got authetication error at Mcdonalds wherr it doesnt have a password. So basically i cant connect to ANY wifi at all. Did all the fixss i found online to no success. Anyone have any other ideas besides what are posted online? Thankz!

gdeangel

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
For your home network, you might double check that you are using the same authentication / encryption protocols... i.e., WEP (depricated) vs. WPA / WPA2. Since this is an older phone, maybe it defaulted to WEP setting?

As for the public McDonalds network, most public WiFi in the US at least is public only in that it's not encrypted. You still generally need to go to a landing page that confirms you aren't going to do naughty things on their WiFi. I'm just reaching at straws on that one though. Why don't you do into your own router and change it to public just to test for certain that the issue is the authentication - seems like that would be easier than driving to McDonalds every time you want to troubleshoot... ;)

Mitsuo212

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Its a problem with the phone wnd not router. If it was problem with router i wouldnt have problem connecting go other wifi right? How old the phone is dont matter. I have original Galaxy S, S3, S4, and S7 and first acer tab and all connect to my wifi except the S3 after factory reset. As for McDonald's the same. But Fyi depending on what browsers you use you may not be able to use McDonald's wifi. For instance if you use Mini Opera you wouldnt be able to go online with McDonald's wifi because after you connect to McD wifi Mini Opera wont open the McD page with terms and agreement for you to agree to and use their wifi.

sean.seoltoir.ss

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I have that problem with a Samsung S3 also. I've contacted Samsung and they *claim* that they do not have any reported problems with it. If you look on the web, you will see a large number of people with this problem, so I find it extremely difficult to believe that it has never been reported to Samsung. Of course, they say that if I send them the phone, they will look it over and tell me how much it will cost to fix it -- probably more than it would cost to buy a brand new generic Android phone. I've tried it with multiple routers at home and I've even tried it with routers with the security turned completely off. None of my other laptops, tablets, or phones have a problem with my routers and some of the phones are even older than the S3.

This was a phone that I purchased outright at full price, not one of the "free" upgrades that some cellular service providers "give" you for renewing your contract. If they admitted that there was a problem, it would be one thing, but to deny that there is one given the number of reported problems on the internet is completely unacceptable. There is no way I would ever buy another Samsung phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.