Galaxy S4: Watch Listen to youtube video (With Screen off)

Narrator

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
Hello Guys,
I have been trying to figure out how to listen to a podcast on YouTube using the Galaxy S4 while having the screen locked. I would like this for a couple of reasons, such as Battery life as well as accidentally bumping the screen while running. I have tried looking through the settings on the YouTube app and playback stops; I also tried to use the mobile site and same thing? Anyone know how I might accomplish This Short of Downloading the Audio from a YouTube to MP3 converter? The podcast is not available for download anywhere else it is exclusive to YouTube.

Solution
It's possible that this has to do with the feature on the Galaxy S4 that stops video playback if you look away from the screen. You may want to look at the phone settings for that and try disabling it to see if that fixes this for you.

Edit: I think this is called the Smart Pause feature, but I'm not sure exactly where in the phone settings you would find it.

Edit #2: Here's a video explaining how to disable it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7c64m9kHk

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
It's possible that this has to do with the feature on the Galaxy S4 that stops video playback if you look away from the screen. You may want to look at the phone settings for that and try disabling it to see if that fixes this for you.

Edit: I think this is called the Smart Pause feature, but I'm not sure exactly where in the phone settings you would find it.

Edit #2: Here's a video explaining how to disable it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7c64m9kHk

Solution

Narrator

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thanks for your Reply, its not the Pause feature, I have that turned off. That was the First thing I thought of but it didn't help Thanks for your help though!

songofmusic

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
There is a third party app called tubemate. It is not found on Google play so you will have to allow third party apps in your security settings. Go to tubemate.net and it is explained there. I just installed it and it works great.

Apr 5, 2014
It's the app it's self I have the older version on my s2 and as soon as I updated it I couldnt use it while phone was locked so I deleted the update to make it work. Now have s4 mini and it's the new version of youtube that's part of the software and you can't delete It. Really annoying trying either find old version or similar program suggested.