Galaxy S6 Launch Guide: Everything You Need to Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Nope, basically every change aside from the higher res screen made the s6 WORSE than the phone I already have. The buttons are placed awkwardly on the right side, the microSD slot is gone so I have to pay more for the phone to get the same storage I had in my S4, the removable battery is gone, and the Sprint version doesn't let you talk and surf at the same time because they removed one of the radios. The S5 seems like more of an upgrade to me.

I guess I'm just going to get a Note 4 when my contract is up and keep it until another good phone with a removable battery and microSD slot comes out.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
All I need to know is that it doesn't have an SD slot, you can't change your battery, it's not waterproof, and it no longer has USB 3.0... I don't care how "pretty" or "sleek" it is... Samsung needs to change their slogan to "beauty over brains"

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I am OK with the fixed storage, because I have options (32-64-128).
But, that battery... I think Samsung underestimated the power consumption of a QHD display.
Oh, well. There will be a SGS7. Besides, there are plenty other Android-based phones out there, no reason to limit ourselves to one device.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Too bad it's not water resistant, no replaceable battery without Ifixing it and no SD card slot like it's predecessor has.

Considering everything, it's still currently the best phone in the market.

Goodspike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
My S4 is about 18-20 months old, and daily battery life was getting to be a problem. Where when the phone was new it would seldom go below 50% it was getting to always reach only 20%. I thought maybe it was some of the apps I use, but I tried getting a new battery. I'm only three days in, so that's too early to be certain, but it is three days where again I'm only going down to about 50% battery.

The sites I've been reading indicate that Li-on batteries lose about 20% of their life after about 500 cycles. That's about where I am in my life of the old battery. If the length of life of the new battery does turn out to be significantly better than the old battery, that would be all the proof I need that I never want to buy a phone without a removable battery (which is something I've never done).

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Nope, basically every change aside from the higher res screen made the s6 WORSE than the phone I already have. The buttons are placed awkwardly on the right side, the microSD slot is gone so I have to pay more for the phone to get the same storage I had in my S4, the removable battery is gone, and the Sprint version doesn't let you talk and surf at the same time because they removed one of the radios. The S5 seems like more of an upgrade to me.

I guess I'm just going to get a Note 4 when my contract is up and keep it until another good phone with a removable battery and microSD slot comes out.

well lets see. If you had to replace any battery in a phone then you obviously got a bad battery or shit design. My last phone was a iphone 4 and I just upgraded it to a s6. so 4 years on the same battery and it holds a charge almost as long as when it was new.

A sd card is really a niche market overall. sure they are cheap cards but for a reason.. they are slow. And more for people that don't ever clear stuff off their phone... Do you really need 30 movies and 25 games on your phone... prob not. Put photos in dropbox or even just link to your home computer if you don't trust other servers.

Downside is its not waterproof like previous versions, but I can live with it. I don't really have a issue with the buttons, but everyone is different.

To others as far as consumptions. I havnt had much time to tinker with it but playing galaxy on fire HD for about 45min I lost about 14% battery. Id say that's decent for battery life.

Goodspike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
well lets see. If you had to replace any battery in a phone then you obviously got a bad battery or shit design. My last phone was a iphone 4 and I just upgraded it to a s6. so 4 years on the same battery and it holds a charge almost as long as when it was new.

A sd card is really a niche market overall. sure they are cheap cards but for a reason.. they are slow.

No way was your iPhone battery as good after four years as when new. More likely your iPhone just had poor battery life when you bought it, so you didn't notice it getting worse. But the life of a battery can be affected by many things besides just defective product, including heat. But let's assume it is a defective battery. Is that possibility a reason to not want a battery to be easily removable?

And the speed of the microSD card is your best argument? Do you think they are too slow to play MP3 files, or retrieve photo or video files? My microSD card has allowed me to save it's cost about every 2-3 months because I can get by with a smaller data plan because I don't need to stream as much music.

If you want to buy hardware that doesn't offer a choice, that's your choice, and obviously something you're used to having come from the Apple environment. Most people not suffering from Stockholm Syndrome like choice.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
No more SD card and no more removable battery. I change from an Iphone 4 to an SGS3 for those reasons and now since the SGS6 doesn't offer those features, my next phone will be a LG G4 when it comes out and I don't think I'll be the only one to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.