Game open in Task Manager but not on screen! Help!

piomat100

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
So I just got Half Life 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2 for my laptop. My laptop screen recently broke so I have to connect it to my TV via a HDMI cable. Whenever I click on any of the games absolutely nothing happens, the loading thing on the cursor shows up but that's it. The game does however show up on the Task Manager but not on my screen, does this have anything to do with me having to connect it to a TV? if so please help.

[OS = Windows 7]

Solution
Yes, you are partly correct. I believe the issue is the resolution your games are running at. The games are physically running however their resolution is too high or not configured correctly for your TV. Are the games running from Steam? What you want to do is change the resolution of the games from whatever they are to 1080p and 30fps to be safe. You can do this by going into control panel and heading to display. There you can configure the settings and change the resolution your GUI is in. If the games are running from the 3rd party app Steam, you can right click on them and select properties and change the resolution there. (May be different in new version, if you are still stuck I'll try and help you some more)

TomZee101

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Yes, you are partly correct. I believe the issue is the resolution your games are running at. The games are physically running however their resolution is too high or not configured correctly for your TV. Are the games running from Steam? What you want to do is change the resolution of the games from whatever they are to 1080p and 30fps to be safe. You can do this by going into control panel and heading to display. There you can configure the settings and change the resolution your GUI is in. If the games are running from the 3rd party app Steam, you can right click on them and select properties and change the resolution there. (May be different in new version, if you are still stuck I'll try and help you some more)

Solution