Gameboy Advance SP ver1 vs ver2 vs DS? (brightness and nits)

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I'm looking to play the first few Final Fantasy games over the portable GBA format, and I bought a first version GBA SP but I am wondering if I should trade up to the GBA SP version 2 (with the backlit and brighter screen) or even trade up to one of the DS models? I mean, the screen is bright enough to see to play the game, but if I'm going to be playing it for 40 hours (I'm told) maybe a brighter screen would be better? But I cannot find an actual spec sheet for any of these units that describes the difference in brightness, so that I can estimate whether it is practically worth more to upgrade to a later model?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
I own all three. The Gameboy SP ver 1 is indeed impossible to see in the dark, but there is an accessory for it that is a small light that plugs in and hangs above the screen and shines on it so you can see in the dark. It feels so retro, but it's cool. The thing is, if you are in a normal lit room or a sunny room, the non-lit screen looks very natural actually. But once it gets dark, that's when you want the SP ver2's lit screen or the small flashlight accessory.

The SP ver2 has great battery life. Ver 1 takes batteries if you like those. Either is fine. As for the DS, worse battery life and doesn't feel as natural IMO as using the actual gameboy.

This is an example of the flashlight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaLuJQD-4Kc

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

I got ver1 of the GBA SP for $17. I don't really intend to be using it in a dark room, or with the lights out (or, conversely, in sunlight). So I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth it to pay more money for version 2 or the DS. I'd conclude from what you're saying that if I'm not going to use it in a dark room, the extra brightness in the later models is negligible, especially considering that the screen resolution is about the same, so it's not necessary to upgrade.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Actually, I used it in the dark last night and had no problems. I'm still curious as to how much brighter the 2nd version of the GBA SP is, but the first version seems adequate enough, and in fact, the diminished brightness might be an asset given that too much exposure to light from electronic devices is supposed interfere with sleep and brain waves and such.

My real problem last night was losing a battle in Final Fantasy before I got to a save point. Or are there save points?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

Never played it. It couldn't have been that dark where you were.