Gamer Dad Attacks Teen After CoD Black Ops Heckling

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm not surprised the rage that CoD generates. A buddy of mine was heckling an ex-girlfriend playing and after he had left my apt, she violently threw my Superbowl salad at my kitchen cabinets and shit (salad) did hit the fan! Needless to say she was terminated and I am now happy engaged to a different wonderful woman.

G

Amazing how many people are supporting the waste of space man. Get a job and stop wasting my money.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm an adult, no kids.

I rarely play online, but recently joined an online league on my favorite game.
A few weeks later I got pissed with someone (I presume a kid) because of the lame argument.

Me been the ADULT simply QUIT/LEFT the league.

End of argument, nobody got injured.

People GAMES are supposed to be FUN if you encounter ONE of this A$$H0!es ....
just move on, is not worth the headache.

xjchcxx

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Both parents are losers. One guy unemployed that's 46 years old is playing a game when he should be looking for a job instead. Then to let a 13 year old kid make him lose his temper to the point where he assulted the kid is utterly stupid and immature on his part. The parent of the 13 year old child is also a loser for allowing her 13 year old son to play a game with mature content.[/citation]

I agree, but look at the logically concluded facts. 46, with 3 kids himself.. the dude needs more than a job at a fast food join to provide for that family. The d-bag kid is not in school, which means the standard business day is concluded, or it is the weekend. (july 1 of this year was a friday) I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he was searching for a job, and playing CoD to feel in control of something in his life. Men associate self worth with employment, so one could easily conclude he felt/feels worthless being unemployed (not all men, exceptions to every rule and stereotype)

I myself am no exception, I spent a month after i graduated college unemployed and it drove me insane, i spent the subsequent year working in a coffee shop while my degree collected dust in the closet. during this time I got home from my crap job or no job and turned to games, to feel like i had control of something in my life, because i couldn't make anyone hire me..i spent 8 hours a day looking for a job, but the job market sucks.

So i give the 46 year old guy the benefit of the doubt, but dude... you're 46! you have kids of your own, what was going through your mind!?!?

Can i be angry at the child? no, not really... i LOL'd when I read that he was 13 because i have a running joke with friends that goes something like "man, i wish i had 8 hours a day, and 20 hours a day on weekends to commit to multiplayer games... if that's all i did all day i would be awesome too, but alas, i have a wife and I actually get to do the things they can only look up on website when mom isn't home..."

The most disappointing person is the mother. In my opinion. She is clearly negligent or oblivious if she hears the gun shots in the other room and does not wonder what her kid is consuming. In the UK it's rated 18, this kid is 13.. there's foul language, blood, gore, and the subject matter is truly adult... this is the kind of parent that raises a child to pull off Columbine. It's not a UK thing either, same problem in any country with an xbox.

Dear parents, stop letting your TV, or your gaming console raise your kids.. Take responsibility and be a parent.. do something with your kid and get them off the couch, else our next generation will look like the sedentary whales in Wall-E..

G

Most people here are missing an important fact: The kid knew who he was taunting. In my eyes as a father of 3 that plays games with my kids that is a no-no. You do not call your neighbor a Dhead regardless of the game. The kid got what he deserved and the mother should be ashamed her kid called a neighbor that name and should also punish the kid

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
The kid got paid? Bloody....

It's not the game that caused the kid to be a headcase. It's the lack of parenting. I don't know if I would let a 13 year old play that particular game (haven't played a COD game in a long time), but I know I was playing Halo at that age. You just have to be an active parent, and make sure stuff like that doesn't continue. I can not tolerate raging teenagers.

G

This guy is a pathetic loser. Maybe he should spend more time finding work and less playing video games.

G

Throw the case out (even though it may sound ridiculous). The kid is ONLY 13!!!! The game requires that you BE 18 to purchase, and therefore 18 to play!!!! If anything, punish the mother for purchasing the game for her child. I hate little children on video games that are not meant for them. Mature means just that, and it requires a higher intelligence level than 13 years old to play.

G

There should be a "walked up the street and choked a 13yo a-hole" achievement.

G

Maybe the man shouldn't have done that, but:

"If you can't handle losing to a child then you shouldn't be playing games." - Maybe, but being called a "d*ckh**d" and other things is perfectly acceptable and is okay for the child to say?

Some parents just don't have any connection to reality when something is about their kids.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well, the child may be 'defenseless', but he sure is a disrespecting brat and he needs to be sent to juvenile detention for playing an M rated game and to become more civil when interacting with elders.

G

this is an old story... i read this a couple months ago, they probably just updated the story.

slai47

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Get the 13 year old off the game it was not made for his age. His age is the ones that ruin the game. They make the community bad. I'm about to switch to PC as the community is much better and more respectful.

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Kevin Parrish: Your article is nearly a month old... and from MSNBC of all places. I'm not a journalist, and I remembered seeing this. How did your crew miss this?http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ [...] o-shot-himDated 30 Sept 2011. Epic fail on THG for posting archival info as "news".[/citation]
Nearly a month old? Try two days old. The incident happened last month, but he was sentenced on Monday.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Wow, do any of you have children? If my neighbor came to my house and attacked my kid for ANY reason he'd be in the hospital. Dont' get me wrong, if I heard my kid talking like that to anyone they'd get smacked in the mouth from ME but I discipline my child how I see fit, not my neighbor. Kids are going to do dumb things. When you're 43 years old you should be able to control yourself a little better than going down the street to assault a kid because they called you names on a video game. The one thing I did like was that the punishment seemed fair. If that happened in the U.S., the mom would be suing for millions of dollars in "mental damages". Of course, I guess that could still happen in this case if the lady brings a civil suit.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Gaming has nothing to do with respect in the real world. If you're out of school and married 9 out of 10 times you're going to suck at video games, before I was married I pwned guys like Bradford day in and day out. And if I ever called someone a "dickhead" that was me being nice. Now I'm married with a kid and the last time I played anything I was a walking headshot and its pissy as hell to hear some 13 year old kid talking smack after he pwns you but that's life. That is gaming, though, if you want respect you have to earn by being good at it. If you can't handle being beaten and berated by people young enough to be your kids it's time to switch to farmville.

How you treat someone in game should have nothing to do with how you treat them in real life, every aspect of gaming is fantasy. It is a way to disconnect from the real world where treating people with respect is part of being in society and where blasting everyone in sight with an AK-47 is a crime. The only thing this kid did wrong was allow people to know where he freaking lived, how damn stupid was that?

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]46 and unemployed.....now that's the real problem....he was bored and needed something bettter to do with his time....sometimes this thing we call anger is a very serious disease[/citation]
Unemployed
Yeah, it's Called Hope & Change from the Kenyan liar and chief.

littleleo

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Sounds like the kid's mouth wrote a check he couldn't handle, lol. Good thing mommy was there to help him. Maybe she should teach him how be a good sport and keep his mouth shut until he can stand up for himself. Who likes a mouthy brat hiding behind mommy's apron-strings. The guy should have sent his own kid to kick the other kid's ass, its never okay to attack a kid. If the mom was home couldn't she hear the stuff her kid was saying? I guess she likes her boy talking like that. What a classy family, not!

Status
Not open for further replies.