Gamer Value: Average PC Beats Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

momcilosystem

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Yeah, considering that you already have PCI-e and DDR2 machine it is really cheaper and, imho, better. But if you don't have PCI-e, it becomes way expensive, not to mention that you need to replace the core of your PC (read: buy new PC).
To get PCIe you need new mobo, hence new cpu (you probably don't have AM2 and AGP or 775 and AGP) hence new RAM (even rarer AGP and DDR2) and at last that PCIe GPU... Which leaves you with most inexpencive parts: case, optical drive and hdd...

So, you need to have a decent PC already to make it a gaming PC.

Cheers

P.S. I am PC guy not console guy, just in case you got that impression.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]What about the Wii?[/citation]

While the Wii's retail price is somewhat cheaper than the 360 and PS3, the Wii's strategic unavailability makes it fairly pricey. Then there's the cost of extra controllers plus the specialized controllers for each game. If anything, the Wii costs more than the other consoles.

Now, I didn't really include the Wii because it's an entirely different gaming platform. The games on the Wii are either very casual, or aimed at the younger, less serious gaming crowd.

[citation][nom]momcilosystem[/nom]Yeah, considering that you already have PCI-e and DDR2 machine it is really cheaper and, imho, better. But if you don't have PCI-e, it becomes way expensive, not to mention that you need to replace the core of your PC (read: buy new PC).To get PCIe you need new mobo, hence new cpu (you probably don't have AM2 and AGP or 775 and AGP) hence new RAM (even rarer AGP and DDR2) and at last that PCIe GPU... Which leaves you with most inexpencive parts: case, optical drive and hdd...So, you need to have a decent PC already to make it a gaming PC.CheersP.S. I am PC guy not console guy, just in case you got that impression.[/citation]

The article does actually cover AGP solutions as well. Even with an AGP system, an Intel P4 at 2.8GHz will provide a strong enough core to run today's games with your $150 vid card and RAM upgrade. Granted, AGP costs slightly more and is a bit less cost effective since the core system is a bit slower.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
This article is a waste of time. The main difference is the simplicity of console gaming.

12 year old kids on Xbox/PS3 obviously can't afford a $1000 computer or maintain it so they ask for a console.

That way they can play GTA IV and beat prostitutes.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Another comment, more than 50% of current console owners DON'T have HD televisions so that makes this article even MORE a waste of time and effort.

beninchi

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Good article.

Even though I prefer PC gaming, ideally, a person would have both a console and PC because there are serious advantages to both.

PCs are still really the only platform to use for strategy games. They are vastly superior in graphics (Don't believe me? The Playstation 3 GPU is the Nvidia RSX, which is a Geforce 7800, which is about the same performance as a current $60 9500 GT for a computer) And the build-it-yourself aspect is fun and does not have to be expensive at all. (Newegg has dirt cheap deals all the time)

But consoles provide a great in-room multiplayer experience and easy of use.

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
It's about time; tons of my fellow console gamers have argued that, in both graphics and gameplay (fine I'll give them that), the consoles are greatly superior. I'm glad I found this article, can't wait to show it to them!

G

In your article you try to argue that you must include the cost of a television as part of a console package. I am not exactly sure what the author views PC games on, but you need a computer monitor if you want to see anything. Therefore, to be fair, you need to add in the cost of a comparable computer monitor as part of the PC cost. I am not sure where you go shopping, but I can find 32" HDTV/monitors for less than $600. So, the whole cost of what you view games on is moot since you need to add the cost to both. If you try to argue that, 'well I have a computer so I have a monitor.' Then the same reasoning goes that if I have a console gaming system I have a TV. Duh!

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Another comment, more than 50% of current console owners DON'T have HD televisions so that makes this article even MORE a waste of time and effort.[/citation]

Where did that statistic come from? I would argue that the majority of people who will spend £300~ on a console will have enough savvy & money to have a hd tv (they're cheap enough these days). Though I do agree the article is a bit of a no brainer.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I like PCs, and have been a PC gamer for a long time. There are some ways to make your PC just like a console now. Including being able to sit down on the couch and play games with your friends. Hooking up an HDTV to a PC is pretty easy, especially with ATI cards. However, with a 3850 you will not want to use 1080p to play games, just as consoles don't render the vast majority of games at 1080p. To get multiple people in on the action you can get one wireless 360 controller for PC, so that you get the blue tooth dongle, and then just buy extra wireless 360 controllers.

To be honest, I haven't tried to use more than one (my wife doesn't game), and I don't know how many games off split screen on the PC, though I think it's likely that more will in the future. I do know that Trine would work great with this setup.

BTW, Trine is really fun, and sorry for the rambling post, I'm pretty tired.

G

witout modding, you can emulate almost everything on a computer, and hence play whatever you want with any controller that a computer will recognize - not the most "moral" way to go, but there it is

orion76

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I agree the answer is both PC and console. My son has converted me to adding my own Xbox alongside of my computer. I am a long time PC player but consoles are easier to operate, less headaches with updates and compatibility issues. Then again PC games receive cheat codes easier, seem to get cheaper faster, and no Xbox live fee.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]Where did that statistic come from? I would argue that the majority of people who will spend £300~ on a console will have enough savvy & money to have a hd tv (they're cheap enough these days). Though I do agree the article is a bit of a no brainer.[/citation]

I saw that statistic too... I think it was... Gizmodo?
http://gizmodo.com/5321526/half-of-next+gen-console-owners-are-playing-on-standard+def-tvs

Anyway, the point is, while you are savvy enough, and have the money to fully enjoy your console, doesn't mean that it's that way for everyone. For example, there was a good few months I was gaming on a 15" lcd (1024x768) and using a 9800GT. Seriously. Finally got a 19" from a friend, and just upgraded to a 22" not too long ago.

Point is less about the TV, methinks, than excluding costs. Most people, when they think about a gaming PC, think of EVERYTHING included in the cost. Most people, when they think about the console, only consider the console alone in cost.

As some people have mentioned, that same TV can be used for the PC as well. There's a lot of crossover nowadays. But, overall, it costs less and you get more, imho if you game with a PC. As someone else mentioned, though, you don't get everything. The best way to go about it is pick the platform you like based on the games. If you're ever questioning whether what you bought was worth it, chances are you paid too much. That goes for everything.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Addition to above: I play on a PC and a Wii. No, no casual gaming. PC's all RTS's and FPS's, the occasional RPG. The Wii is for things like DDR, Smash Bros, Mario Kart. The net-party is played on the PC. The real party is played on the Wii.

I think it's funny that people think if you're a hardcore gamer you can't enjoy the Wii. I do. And I'm definitely in the hardcore gaming crowd (why, just this week I've played a little Braid, Rainbow6 Vegas: 2, L4D, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Dawn of War II, Dance Dance Revolution, Smash Bros).

Get a PC for gaming, doesn't have to be the most powerful thing ever. Buy a console. Get both. Enjoy.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Interesting article. I prefer to upgrade my PC every so often. I've been doing it more now that I don't have to pay for school anymore, but seem to be playing it less as I seem to have a little less free time :D.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Good article. The comparative costs of including a monitor and an hdtv prolly shouldn't have been included, because if you have a computer you'll have a monitor. Same goes for a console, you'll already have a tv. Most people aren't starting from scratch.

This article is from a viewpoint of someone who just has an older computer, but doesn't have a tv or a console. But if you started both from scratch, you could prolly get a decent gaming pc with a monitor and cheap keyboard and mouse for the same price as you would a console and a small(ish) hdtv.

Also, games are more expensive on consoles that pc

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Consoles are for idiots. $65 video games.
1)Unmoddable software.
2) No roster updates.
3) No cheats without typing some long code.
4) No typing.
5) Absolutely horrid control system for first person shooters (how the heck do you aim with a thumbstick?).
6) Can't upgrade until the next loser console comes out 5 years
later.
7) Can't do anything other than game.
8) Can't connect more than 4 controllers (and as a result forcing PC ports to also max out at 4 controllers when we should be able to play full 5 on 5 bball with our USB controllers)

vaderseven

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I know most of the world only seems to play FPS (which both console and PC do well) but another concern people should have is do you like fighting games or RTS. Each of those genres are really focused on only one or the other (fighters on console, RTS on PC).

Status
Not open for further replies.