Games on laptop are suddenly lagging a lot when they ran fine before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Hi, here's some background: My laptop was running perfectly everything how it should be. I go to Europe and the fans not working making the laptop lag a ton while getting SUPER hot. We take it to a repair shop and they clean the fans and apply new thermal paste. The laptop is tested and is still is acting up so the repair shop replaces the whole fan with a new one. I get back to my house and while using the laptop it seems to be working fine, the fans are working too. Except when I tried to play any game after about 1-2 minutes of playing any game the FPS would drop a lot and the whole game would be very laggy. This includes games like Rocket League, COD Dirty bomb, etc. before the fan stopped working I could run all of these games easily without ANY lag with high settings. This problem kind of feels like the problem when the fans weren't working at all except to smaller extent. I have a Lenovo y510p I have shut down and turned on my laptop a dozen times and I can't seem to fix this. Please Help, Thanks.
-Bret

Solution
Once you done with that, run a Windows Hardware troubleshooter.

Here's how you do it:

Step 1. Open Control Panel

Note: This is how to open Control Panel, if you do not know.
Windows 10: Click on the search tab, and type in Control Panel.

Step 2. Click System and Security
Step 3. Click Security and Maintence
Step 4. On the bottom, click Troubleshooting
Step 5. Click Hardware and Sound
Step 6. Click on Hardware and Devices (I am pretty sure that's what it's called)
Step 7. Run the troubleshooter.

Press next, then follow the directions.

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Ok so while in Rocket league the cpu utilization is around 22% and here are my specs: Windows 10, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 8gb of ram, NVDIA 750m, 64 bit system, 1 terabyte of storage,

ComputerGeek21

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
i think your cpu is to blame, while your cpu is strong it lacks clock speed, your clock speed is 2.40GHz and thats the minimum requirements to play rock league, you can try overclocking or upgrading your cpu

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

But before I went on this trip I could run it easily with smooth 60 fps now it drops to 30 on the same settings also mine overclocks to like 3.2

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

The laptop is fully updated, any changes to the hardware? I don't think so, and was is defragging

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
This seems very weird... Try deleted temp and prefetch files. Use this video for reference (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ev5fnavD8), as it is very complicated to explain it in words.

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
Once you done with that, run a Windows Hardware troubleshooter.

Here's how you do it:

Step 1. Open Control Panel

Note: This is how to open Control Panel, if you do not know.
Windows 10: Click on the search tab, and type in Control Panel.

Step 2. Click System and Security
Step 3. Click Security and Maintence
Step 4. On the bottom, click Troubleshooting
Step 5. Click Hardware and Sound
Step 6. Click on Hardware and Devices (I am pretty sure that's what it's called)
Step 7. Run the troubleshooter.

Press next, then follow the directions.

Solution

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Ok I will! Thanks for helping btw and I'm thinking it might be physical damage that's causing this because the fan broke when I arrived in Europe the US and i checked my bag. They don't take good care of bags and throw them around so if the fan broke then something could have broke too right? Also I factory reset my laptop last night, problem is still happening do i still need to delete the temp files etc?

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
Probably try deleting them, they'll clean a couple of hundred megabytes anyways. And yes, they don't take care of bags of they break people's stuff!! :miam: I wonder if Lenovo would give you a replacement for that, or maybe they don't care... Anyways, your welcome and have a great day!

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

You too

Status
Not open for further replies.