GameStop: PS4 May Be in Short Supply at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvalles19

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
This comes as no surprise, its marketing at its finest. Limiting available quantities at launch guarantees sales of all initial launch stock. Retailers really like limited supplies of high demand products. It allows them to raise prices based on supply and demand, so they capitalize to increase their bottom line. You wont hear any complaints coming from them about shortages. It is the US monetary system doing what it does best, making the rich, richer. I do recall the "Tickle Me Elmo" debacle, stores kept it in the stock rooms and only brought out a couple palettes at a time so they could sell them for up to six times the retail price.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
There were rumors about Sony having manufacturing problems that may push the launch to Q1 2014 back before the PS4 unveiling when the Holiday release window was announced. So, since they're not pushing the release back, it's not too suprising that there'll be supply issues. I just hope Microsoft is having better luck because I want to get one of the 2 at launch.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Just to think that a small amount of these limited PS4's at launch will be bought by people that just end up putting them on Ebay to profit off of, I wouldn't be surprised to see them going for $1500 the sad part is that people will buy them too.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]jaggsta[/nom]I can see it now people paying 2x the normal price for a PS4 like when PS3 came out.[/citation]
Yeah, people are tools. Considering what I have heard about the draconian way MS wants to handle their next Crapbox I see Sony ruling the next generation of consoles.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It's too bad Sony and MS. Don't do accounts only sales direct to the customer at launch and completely shut out places like Ebay and Game Stop, that would be awsome. IT could be done, but they won't tie up their resources doing it....

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
lol every time I see something sell out, I go to ebay to see how the vultures and the starving are reacting. remember when twinkies were selling out? boxes of twinkies going for hundreds of dollars. some selling at outrageous prices, other setting auctions and watching people overbid to the skies. I see the same happening as a result of this shortage(as always happens).

Its a great tactic to launch a limited amount of consoles so they sell out and let people know that sales are strong. but its a bad idea to launch with a too limited supply and not have enough people to spread the word on the console.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It's too bad Sony and MS. Don't do accounts only sales direct to the customer at launch and completely shut out places like Ebay and Game Stop, that would be awsome. IT could be done, but they won't tie up their resources doing it....[/citation]
that would be good to combat the leechers, but it wont be good at all in the long run when people feel like giving away or selling their console. also wouldnt work to gift people.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It's too bad Sony and MS. Don't do accounts only sales direct to the customer at launch and completely shut out places like Ebay and Game Stop, that would be awsome. IT could be done, but they won't tie up their resources doing it....

that would be good to combat the leechers, but it wont be good at all in the long run when people feel like giving away or selling their console. also wouldnt work to gift people.

I was talking about the Lauch of the system, till the demand of the console met production
capabilitys. After that a free for all.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]nikoli707[/nom]console gaming is totally dead, pc gaming and smartphone gaming will take over[/citation]

Are you really that stupid or are you just trolling?

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I waited 4 months before buying the PS3 after its release. Now six years later (and two replacement PS3 units later), I have yet to lose any sleep over that "lost" first four months of not being able to PS game with my friends. Between the PS3 and my PC, I can wait this PS4 hysteria out just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.