Gaming Laptop - Asus?

reddogf5

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I am looking for a new laptop, will be used for gaming, CAD, video editing, some game development in UE, and general office stuff.

I was considering the Asus G752VS OC based on reviews on Tom's, but it seems to have a high number of issues according to Amazon reviews. I do not want to spend $2500 on a problem child. That is also about the budget, maybe up to $3k if it is really superior.
Any insight as to whether this thing has spotty quality? Or recommendation for something better? MSI or Alienware? I have heard origin mentioned, but it doesnt seem widely used. Same for Falcon NW, but they are very pricey for a brand with no reviews or information.
Also, possibly something with a last gen 9-series GPU, I have a 9-something in my desktop, and it is fine for my uses at the moment.
Any input is appreciated.

Solution
I writing a post on my pc, and it was like beep beep beep beep, it devoured my post it was a really good post, I had to write it again and I had to write it fast so it wasn't as good, it was kind of a bummer.

The reason I am making the recommendations for you are the other things you listed aside from gaming. 32GB of ram and a premium CPU.

Any pc that cost $2500 from the list of brands will be a good pc. An OEM pc will give you more hardware for the money where a botique will give you better support.

Alienware falls in the middle of the pack. I built 2 pc alienware and origin The alienware came to $2325, if you go with 16GB of ram instead of 32GB its 2175. (The only reason to go alienware is that they have onsite support as...

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Falcon NW is an excellent brand (you do pay a high premium for it) Since you are talking about CAD, and video editing, I might suggest looking at originpc.com and viewing those pcs as they like falcon have desktop CPUs in them. Otherwise Asus is a great brand and I can also vouch for MSI as I own one. I would get the best CPU in your budget honestly.

The 10series GPU as they are much better then the 9series counterparts. (they are also cooler) I would suggest you look for something with a 1070 and a 7820K or a 7700K (desktop CPU).

reddogf5

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks, I looked at origin this morning, in a 15" rather than 17. They are pricey, any idea what their quality is? Most of the complaints I've seen were slow ship times, but at $2700 I expect perfection. I've ruled out the Asus, as it seem 80-85% of the people are happy, and 15-20% have issues that never get resolved.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I writing a post on my pc, and it was like beep beep beep beep, it devoured my post it was a really good post, I had to write it again and I had to write it fast so it wasn't as good, it was kind of a bummer.

The reason I am making the recommendations for you are the other things you listed aside from gaming. 32GB of ram and a premium CPU.

Any pc that cost $2500 from the list of brands will be a good pc. An OEM pc will give you more hardware for the money where a botique will give you better support.

Alienware falls in the middle of the pack. I built 2 pc alienware and origin The alienware came to $2325, if you go with 16GB of ram instead of 32GB its 2175. (The only reason to go alienware is that they have onsite support as they are dell) the downside of the support is that they are dell.

The origin PC I built comes to $2484. This is prior to an extended warranty which I would recommend with any system not just origins. (can you be sure you will be in the same place in life in 2-3 years if something happens?)

Current Special Offers: Start The New Year With New Gear - 10-Series DT
The ORIGIN Difference: ORIGIN PC EON15-X - The Best Gaming Experience Guaranteed
Display Type: EON15-X FHD 1920 x 1080 15.6" IPS G-SYNC Matte Display
Keyboard and Touchpad: Customizable Backlit Keyboard w/ Three Lighting Zones and Multiple Color options and Multi-gesture Touchpad
Graphic Cards: Single NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB [VR Ready]
Processors: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz (4.5GHz TurboBoost)
Thermal Compound: GELID GC-Extreme CPU Application
Thermal Compound: GELID GC-Extreme Graphics Card Application
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz (2 X 16GB)
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home
Hard Drive: FREE 256GB SanDisk Z400S
Hard Drive Two: 2TB Seagate 5400RPM 2.5" Hard Drive
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio powered by Sound Blaster Xfi MB5 w/ external 7.1 support
Onboard LAN: Killer™ E2400
Networking: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
SuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0
SuperSpeed+ USB 3.1 Type-C: USB 3.1 Type-C
Media Card Reader: Media Card Reader
Finger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Area Fingerprint Reader
Integrated Camera: Built-in 2.0M FHD Video Camera
Warranty: Lifetime 24/7 U.S. Based Support and Lifetime Free Labor. 1 Year Part Replacement & 45 Day Shipping Warranty
ORIGIN Recovery: ORIGIN Recovery USB3.0 Flash Drive
No Dead Pixel Guarantee: 45 Day No Dead Pixel Guarantee Free

msi, asus, gigabyte have prebuilt machines that the mass produce and are ready to ship immediately.
Origin pc, falcon NW and Digital storm, are botiques that build the laptops as they come in and they test them this adds to the time of delivery and setup but it helps to ensure a quality pc.
I do not know if alienware still tests machines prior to shipment after they were acquired by dell.

Solution

reddogf5

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks, two questions if you don't mind:
Why the sandisk z400 rather than an m.2 drive for the OS?
And
Intel dual band wireless instead of the killer wireless?

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Why the sandisk z400 rather than an m.2 drive for the OS? Its FREE! and 256 is usually large enough for most people.

Intel dual band wireless instead of the killer wireless? I have had minor issues with Killer's optimizations in the past so that is why I went with intel. It was an easy fix to change the configuration. It may not be worth the extra cash. wildfire707 had a good summery of the difference in the link below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3032957/wireless-network-card-laptop-intel-qualcomm.html

reddogf5

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks, I researched the wireless after I posted, and found the killer seems to sometimes offer better performance along with occasional issues.

The sandisk looks very slow compared to other SSDs, but faster than a mechanical drive. But I suppose it's easy to replace, although I don't like leaving part of the machine sub-par, almost as much as I don't like pushing the price to $3k.

reddogf5

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I ordered an origin essentially as you had it configured, they dropped the option of 2666 MHz ram so I went with 2400, I will post something if I run into any problems