Solved! Gaming Laptop CPUs i7-7700HQ vs i7-7820HK vs i7-8750H

jorge_medion

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hi,

I am looking for a new gaming laptop to play Total War games: Empire (must), Napoleon (must), Shogun 2 (must), Rome 2 (must), Attila (maybe if performance is good enough) and Thrones of Britannia (maybe if performance is good enough). I do not have much idea about Gaming Laptops CPUs so I want to ask about the following ones I am finding on brands: HP Omen, Asus Rog, MSI, Gigabyte, Dell-Alienware

Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Intel Core i7-7820HK
Intel Core i7-8750H

My budget is aprox. up to 2500 $ / 2300 € / 2200 £ but I am more concerned about CPU rather than GPU since the games I am sure to play: Empire, Napoleon, Shogun 2 and Rome 2 are older and I think a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 is more than enough to run them. The problem is that Total War games heavily depends on a very strong CPU since is are the most CPU demanding games. So, which CPU would be a good fit among those mentioned above?

Thank you very much in advance.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from jorge_medion : "Gaming Laptop CPUs i7-7700HQ vs i7-7820HK vs i7-8750H"

jorge_medion

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hi kadec. Thank you for your answer but I have a further question. I asked that because I am not quite sure about the performance of Intel Core i7-8750H since the base clock speed is just 2.2 GHz while Intel Core i7-7700HQ is 2.80 GHz and Intel Core i7-7820HK is 2.90 GHz. 2.2 GHz of base clock speed seems to be really weak and I am afraid about that if I would have a huge bottleneck while playing those games. Just to remember that most Total War players nowadays have CPUs such as i7-6700K which is indeed a very powerful CPU.

Aug 21, 2018
base clock is mostly irrelevant especially in this situation. the base clock will help you out in power savings when you are not gaming or placing stress on the cpu. but the turbo is 4.1 ghz which is higher that the other 2 processors and on a newer technology basis meaning it is generally just better and more effective. also the 2 more cores that the 8750h has will be far better for other applications but leaves headroom for gaming and so forth. although the turbo is 4.1 i suggest you look long and hard at the different laptops you are looking at and see which one cools the best. if you v cannot cool the cpu well then you will thermal throttle HARD and this can cause fluctuations in fps and generally a far lower frame rate. keep in mind under full load most laptops will thermal throttle so keep in mind the the cpu will only use approx 50% utilisation so it wwill not heat up as much as a fully loaded cpu. but it is still the best option. there is not chance of a bottleneck with any of these cpu's but you will have more longevity of the laptop in terms of usability and generally may before 5-10% better in games.

Aug 21, 2018
update 3 soz
the i7 7820hk is overclockable wwhich is great and you could squeeze more performance out of it but unless you have a liquid cooled laptop or something absurd then i wwould say dont try.