dragonwolf8504

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Here is the laptop I bought:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416834/Alienware_17_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver

I paid $1925.96 after taxes

I LOVE the build quality, and the fact that I can get into everything on the underside. I also like the keyboard, able to change colors and everything. I also LOVE the fact that it came with Windows 7 Installed.

But the price is still a little hard to swallow.

I've been kind of eyeballing:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415326/ROG_G750JW-RB71_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

I can add 4GB ram to it for about $40 max.

Both laptops would then pretty much have the same specs.

I have a 250GB SSD that I also planned on putting in the Asus. (It's in the Alienware right now.)

I am using Microcenter Columbus, Ohio Store.

My biggest things are reliability, keyboard (does this newer Asus suffer from the dreaded spacebar glitch?)

Please no "Build your own desktop, your get better bang for buck." I know I would, but I NEED portability, over everything.

I AM extremely happy with the Alienware, but am starting to have Buyer's Remorse on the price. So the biggest thing is I would like the same performance, but for less if possible. (I tried a Toshiba Qosmio out and did not like it. The single vent shared with the dGPU and the CPU just ramped up temperatures. I would prefer Windows 7, but I guess if I need to I will go with 8, provided I can have an SSD (Windows 8 doesn't seem to like being cloned. Help there?)

Weigh in and hope to get help soon as I have about 3-4 days remaining before I am stuck with my purchase no matter how I feel. (15 day return/ exchange on laptops.)

Also I wish to state I was an Alienware hater (always thought they were overpriced, but having owned one now, I am extremely impressed. But with everything else going on around my house, I am feeling a little guilty for sinking so much into a laptop when it seems I could have the same for less.

Solution
Yea best to go ahead and stick with the new Alienware. It has a haswell CPU anyways which are more efficient power wise, so you might get a small kick in battery life.

If it is in super good condition you might even try for $1100 but at that people may double think through the lenovo's and the MSI brands cause they have a couple nice systems at $1100, but are still lacking on a few specs compared to yours. Still its fully working, great specs, great condition, so someone I am sure will be happy to buy it.

Tomshardware also has a "deals" section you may think about listing it there also. Helps avoid Ebay fees.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
looks like you overpaid for that alienware big time.

not sure why you'd want a 1080p screen in a laptop unless you have laptop gpus in SLi... cause even the best laptop gpu is only average at best for 1080p gaming by themselves (a 680m/770m/7970m all are about as strong as a desktop 7850 or 650ti BOOST)... but i guess if it helps dell stay in business they'll sell them with 1080p monitors.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
To be honest with you, because you have already purchased items its a little hard to tell you what would be the best move for you. For the alienware you did way overpay. You were right before when you were an alienware hater. Alienware sells the same laptops as a lot of other companies, with a slightly slicker exterior (sometimes) and charges anywhere from 3-9 hundred dollar premiums for there stuff.

Honestly the best option for you would to have been to get one of these :
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

These laptops have the same CPU as the alienware so general performance is all around the same. Gaming would be lower on the cheaper modes, but if you go as high as $1000 on amazon you can buy one of these with dual GPUs and it would then perform probably a bit better. The battery life I have heard is only around 2.5 hours which isn't so good, but its still a lot more performance per dollar when compared to the alienware.

Maybe you could sell off your alienware for close to what you paid to someone and buy one of these, but since you already have it and it is now used, I have my doubts you will get the enough back out of it to really make it worth while. It just seems a little bit too late to help. Sorry.

dragonwolf8504

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I stated before, I can STILL return the Alienware. I have about 3 days remaining on Microcenter's 15 day return policy. (Purchased on October 9th 2013. As for costs, I think the price IS worth it. The build quality is GREAT! I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for owning one. You can actually replace ALOT of the parts (fan, heatsinks and such) without needing to pull practically everything out. The chassis is also really sturdy, I have owned Asus and other models and never felt the stability that I do with the Alienware. Honestly I didn't know what I was missing.

MY ISSUE is actually not so much price for specs, as I think paying the extra for a better built machine is worth it. My ISSUE is the fact that I am not very well off on the cost, and while I wouldn't hesitate to lay down the cash for this laptop again, financially I have some guilt right now.

I used to be a HATER, I wouldn't have even touched Alienware before, but as Microcenter didn't have much at the time and an open box Alienware cost the same as an MSI I was eyeballing at the time. (They didn't have the Asus ones in stock and I needed something NOW), I went with what I could. I AM IMPRESSED. But now, I find that Microcenter has pretty much all the laptops I was looking at before. I WANT to keep the Alienware as it's a nerds dream on accessibility and upgrade-ability down the road. (I've read and even seen first hand how some Alienwares have been upgraded to newer GPU's and such.) But it's the guilt I guess I will need to either deal with or, trade down to something "lower". Asus, Toshiba, and even Samsung (I had a Samsung Series 7 Gamer w/ a GTX 675M 2GB, but the GPU is dying and it's out of Warranty.) none of those seem to hold a candle to the Alienware in build quality.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Well yea I am sure that it is quite sturdy and upgrade friendly. Like I said they do charge a premium, but that doesn't mean they don't try to justify it in a few ways like trying to make it more sturdy.

Anyways, if you really like it that much perhaps you could sell your Samsung Series 7 Gamer on eBay. I know you said the GPU is starting to have trouble, but I am sure at the right price someone out there will be itching to buy it anyways and want to try to fix it. That could give you the extra cash to help alleviate your guilt for spending so much. Sounds like the best option to me from what you have said. If the Alienware makes you happy, then enjoy it and don't let negative emotions stop it.

However if you do return it, I still recommend probably getting the laptop I linked before as its pretty solid and powerful and has good performance per dollar. Also, I believe the main fan can be simply pulled out the side for cleaning. Its a nice system.

dragonwolf8504

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, the problem with ordering online is I still NEED something now. I'm sure if I went with the Lenovo that had Dual GT 750M's in SLI (I don't use an optical drive often and do have an usb one when needed.) would probably outbeat a single GTX 770M, I just can't afford to wait on something due to school and other things I use the computer for. Your right about the Samsung. I could sell it on Ebay and make enough money back to get rid of the guilt. I think I will do that. Yeah I'll have to wait for a sale to happen, but it's better than nothing.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
That CPU in the i5 version is a lot worse in performance compared to the i7's. Seems like not so good just to save $100, but it is a possibility. 1-day shipping does help.
Btw I think he is half way through the semester at current.

dragonwolf8504

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah.

Not really waiting on a sale, just waiting on delivery is what it is. I WOULD need to return the Alienware before buying anything else. What do I do at that point since my Samsung isn't very reliable right now. That's my biggest point. Though I could probably see if Microcenter is selling a single gpu version of that Lenovo and order a second one off Lenovo's website or by calling. That's dependent on what Microcenter has.

Secondary question, how much should I sell the Samsung for? I mean it does work, and the more I mess with it, the more I think that it was a driver issue as I re-installed Windows and it hasn't crashed since then again it could be anything. But yeah, I don't really want to chance it.

Specs are:

Intel I7 3610QM 2.3GHZ
16GB DDR3 Ram
GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5 GPU
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for boot
750GB HDD (7,200RPM) Data
Blu-ray drive
17.3" 120Hz Display 1080p

Assuming there is nothing wrong with it how much?

Assuming there may be an issue how much?

I plan on keeping the Alienware or just returning it if I can keep my Samsung running long enough to get a Lenovo online.

Is there anything out there I can use to test if the gpu is failing?

Thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated! No matter how I may argue or anything, I still am thankful for the help. :D

IInuyasha74

Honorable

No sorry I thought you said you would wait for a sale before selling your Samsung, thats what I was confused about. I think you are best to sell the Samsung and keep your Alienware cause you seem to be quite happy with it.

Anyways, with those specs that thing sounds like quite a beast. Idk the max resolution supported but honestly if its not scratched up or anything, and you have it rather clean and the battery is still good, I would think no less than $800.

I would say list it at $800-$900 somewhere, and put an "Or best offer" with it. With those specs, compared to for example the Lenovo I mentioned earlier you are getting a slightly worse CPU, an SSD, better GPU, better HDD, way more RAM, Blu Ray, big display, and if its 1080P then higher quality display at the same price point.

Honestly thinking it over $800 should be the bottom you go for it because thats really excellent specs.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Oh and no problem for the help. Haha I understand if you want to be a little argumintative. I do that too when I am trying to make a decision. Helps rule things out easier :)

As for the GPU test, I think best is to boot it up, and run something like Unreal Engine I think it is on it for a few hours. Give it 2 hours and if its still going I would say its fine. Honestly you might just need to open and clean the dust out of it.

IInuyasha74

Honorable

Hmm then comparing it to similar offers from Lenovo and MSI, maybe even set the price to $1000 and put a best offer on it. I don't know what you paid, but $1000 is close to what a good MSI system is with similar specs but less RAM I think and without and SSD. Then maybe accept if they offer $800 or up after a few days.

dragonwolf8504

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Ok I will check out the unreal engine and run it. As you said, if it can run for about 2 hours and no issues, I'm probably safe and could probably sell it for a decent price. I've never sold anything on Ebay though so it'll be interesting. What should I place as a low-ball offer though if all is good? Or was the pricing you were saying for a good system?

I do clean out my laptop's regularly. At least once a month. Which is why I do like the Alienware. If anyone saw the bottom and how it opens up, they would probably agree in the aspect that it is easy to clean.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
If it passes the test fine without an issue, I think $1000 and don't take lower than $800.

If it fails the test, honestly I would say take it one of two ways. Either Try to sell it for $800 as having some issues with graphics, and as a best offer accept down to $600, or part it out.

For example, the RAM at 8GB each probably could get at least $40 out of each easily. The SSD probably get $80. The HDD probably get $60. Then sell the display for a good bit also, not sure what it goes for. Then the wireless card is removable usually and can be sold, and the CPU if it is in a socket could be sold for a couple hundred. Finally the chasis and remaings could be sold together probably, but that way you might only get up to about $600 something.

You could sell the HDD for $60 and one of the $8GB sticks of ram for $40 and then sell the laptop as a whole for $600-$700 which would still be a huge steal if they get the GPU working, but it all depends on how you want to try to go about doing.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Yes I think so. IT makes it through that for about 2 hours and I would say its fixed. A bad GPU would normally crash in the first 15 minutes or so, but that makes completely sure. Oh and give it a glance every so often to make sure you don't see any crazy artifacts like fuzz or strange lines popping up. You don't have to watch it, but a quick look over ever 15-45 minutes should do it.