Gaming overheating bluescreen

dbbew

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
i got this one halfway figured out just the solution i dont have.it is a compaq presario 2100 with athlon xp2800 and ati graphics chip onboard.had the radeon igp 320m chip and goes from 8 mb to 128mb shared memory.well works great surfing and everything else go to play a graphical game on it it freezes or bluescreens me.i have taken apart and cleaned the processor and all it still works fine but the chip for graphics has nothing but tiny little metal overtop it to take up heat with about an inch of space above it and has secondary tiny fan in back supposedly to suck the heat from this chip i believe.however either the chip is just getting wore out or it just cant handle the heat of these graphical games.the reason im pretty sure it is the graphics chip is the errors usually involve ati something and also removed the keyboard pointed a big fan at it and played my game all the way through without crashing.rise of nations is the game i have been playing also it used to play it pretty much fine it just seems to be getting worse now.so anybody have any ideas?with the extra space above it i wish i could try somekind of homemade heatsink that actually covers the chip not just two little strips that are on it or is it even worth it maybe sell it off as a surfing and movie watching laptop and find another one before i tear this one up permanantly.thanks for any help thank you
presario 2100 athlon xp2800 (2.134ghz)512ddr pc2700 ram ati 320m chip

dbbew

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
i know this for sure but these games i play will work on my p3 700mhz 8mb video just assuming they shouldnt shut down a 2.13ghz comp with 128mb video lol