Gateway laptop won't recognize HD in UEFI

May 28, 2018
I have a Gateway NE56r laptop that came with windows 8. I upgraded to windows 10. When I installed the creators update, I started having all kinds of problems. My last resort was to reinstall the original OS. But when I try to install using the UEFI boot mode, it doesn't recognize any of my drives. When I try to install using Legacy mode, it says no signed device drivers found. I put the driver cd in but it still can't find anything. What am I doing wrong? Or not doing?

Solution
You said in your original post that you ran into the message when you were in Legacy mode and tried to reinstall the OS from a USB. Then you said you tried what was in the link I included but it didn't work. I am asking which mode were you in on that computer when you tried to use the steps listed in that link (there are quite a few different things to try in there), Legacy or UEFI. And also did you try all of them. There is quite a list there of things to try.
May 28, 2018
I'm using the restore disks I made when I first got the laptop. I didn't have any problems running windows 10 until I did the creators update. My current problem is that while reinstalling, it doesn't see the hard drive, cd/dvd drive, usb drive, etc. It does see them if I switch to legacy mode. But I can't get past the "collecting information" step because it says there are no signed device drivers.
BTW..what is the difference between signed device drivers and device drivers?

May 28, 2018
I tried your link but I still have the same problem. I have also tried suggestions from similar threads to no avail. So far, the only things I haven't done are reset the startup defaults and replace the hard drive. If this is a symptom of a bad HDD, I can replace it no problem.

May 28, 2018
I'm sorry, I don't understand. The Gateway I'm talking about is unbootable at this point. Did you mean switch the one I'm using over to Legacy? I know I might sound a bit dense, but I've been struggling with this for over two weeks now.

You said in your original post that you ran into the message when you were in Legacy mode and tried to reinstall the OS from a USB. Then you said you tried what was in the link I included but it didn't work. I am asking which mode were you in on that computer when you tried to use the steps listed in that link (there are quite a few different things to try in there), Legacy or UEFI. And also did you try all of them. There is quite a list there of things to try.

Solution