Gateway lt31 wireless network adapter problem

jschaefer97

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I purchased this Gateway LT31 from best buy last summer. It came with vista home basic on it if I remember correctly, so I promptly installed the windows 7 rc1 over it since it was released right around the time I got it. So a few days ago I decided to install a fresh copy of windows 7 since it was getting a little crowded and still had some of the bloatware on it because I hadn't really been using it a lot. Everything installed fine, chipset and other drivers installed fine and everything is working great.. except my wireless network adapter.

Here is the gateway support page for the drivers:
http://support.gateway.com/support [...] os=Windows Vista (32-bit)

(chose the drivers for vista because if you choose windows 7 they drivers are different because they changed hardware post 7 release)

I have installed all the network drivers from gateways support page for the netbook to no avail, and I can't find anywhere that says which specific network adapter it is so I can't exactly look elseware online for drivers.

As of now in device manager it says there are no installed drivers for my wireless network adapter and the slide/switch to turn it on and off does nothing.

Any ideas?

Any help if greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

G

First talk to Gateway and see if they have a Win7 driver for the version of the adapter supplied with your laptop .

But it sounds as if the old Vista driver may work as you seem not to have had problems when you installed 7 on top of Vista.

Alternatively, if Gateway (or you) can identify the chipset of your adapter see if the chipset manufacturer has a Win7 driver.

jschaefer97

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Well I messed around with it a little more and updated a few other things that needed it, and got the windows update "there are important updates ready to install" pop up thing, and one of the things was a wireless network driver :D I was unaware that windows update would find drivers for things that needed them!

Problem solved, everything works great now. Although I did not see either replies until after the problem was resolved, thanks for the input.

wjp

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I'm currently having the same problem. Both Microsoft and Gateway customer support were no help. I cannot connect to the internet via ethernet either. I presume you could? If so, how were you able to? Thanks.