Gateway Nv53 magnetic lid switch problem.Screen not loading.how to remove Hall effect sensor?

Sublime89

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
My gateway nv53 laptop screen will not turn on .Last time this happened I went on this site and read that if I squeeze the left bottom screen where magnet is.it will turn on screen and that worked and haven't had a problem until now.This will not work anymore even when using a different magnet.

I was using my gateway nv53 laptop when the screen completely froze and I had no control over mouse pad or keyboard controls.the laptop was really hot at the time too.i had to hold power button down to shut down computer and when I reset it the screen would not come on.Is this a sign my graphics card failed?

I took apart the motherboard and I see what I think is a small rectangular Hall effect sensor next to the power jack where the magnet would connect to from the lcd bezel and turn the screen on and off when closing and opening lid.

Can I remove this sensor from motherboard so that the screen does not turn off unless shut down?

I already read through this thread below on same subject.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1736826/gateway-nv53-showing-display-powered.html

Hi,

Please do try these basic troubleshooting steps first before doing something major with your laptop. :)
- Do a hard reboot first, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then see if it would boot up normally with the display.
- If it doesn't display anything but there's light and you hear the fans spinning, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get a display from it and if you that means it's either just the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard or the LCD itself.
- If there's still no display reseat the RAM, remove them all for couple of seconds the put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If all these will not work the problem then is within the motherboard itself.