Gearbox Still Green Lights Duke Nukem 3D Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I think they should probably be allowed to sell it otherwise maybe Gearbox will further cement their reputation as the biggest assholes in the game industry after they switched Borderlands from photo-realism to stupid drawing style graphics, they released Duke Nukem Forever in such a bad state, and they castrated Aliens: Colonial Marines so they would be able to cram it onto non-next-generation consoles.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
They should allow them to sell the duke 3d reloaded for $15 and just take a cut. If they allow them to make some money on it we'll probably get a better finished product. Do we want a weekend spare time remake or a full on product with lots of man hours into it? Personally I want it done right. I have no problem paying $15 for an updated duke 3d.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
eugene stoner only took $1 from the sale of every M16 out of the total price which is about 850 for a civilian version and he's made tens of millions of dollars. Gearbox should just take that approach... give us $1 from each sale and we'll make it a commercial release... Hell worse comes to worse it can just be a steam release and then gearbox makes at least a few hundred thousand for doing nothing.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
JOSHSKORN, maybe but then Gearbox should give this team some of the money you gave Gearbox. Plus maybe if this team does a good job then they should also remake Duke Nukem Forever which purchasers of the game should get for free. Then again Gearbox should give some of their ill-gotten gains to this team.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I got duke nukem 3d atomic version for free from gog.com and downloaded duke32 mode.
And I was really impressed.

If you like to replay duke, go for it: so much nostalgia. I am feeling old now.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Too much has been said about DNF, most of it exaggerated bullsh!t from people that haven't played it or the original and just want a bandwagon to look cool, but I did play it and the DLC expansion - it was everything I expected in a Duke game, ridiculous misogynistic craziness. Was it fun? Yes. Was it as good as Call of Battlefield Samey Samey Edition? Can't compare apples to oranges, may as well compare it to Rollercoaster Tycoon or Mass Effect. Should they release a remake of DN3D? Absolutely, if you remake the original Half Life as Black Mesa using Source, make money and not harm other Valve games, then absolutely.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I hate the remake of Half-Life 1 because, last time I checked, it was using a really old stupid version of the Source engine; the version that didn't even have specular highlighting. The remake is way too outdated now. The remake needs a remake.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
back_by_demand, I can complain because if Valve Software were not being jerks, then they should have probably hired that team to do a proper official commercial remake or at least informed them that they were using an old seriously deficient version of the engine. My anger is mostly directed at Valve Software rather than the remake team. I did notice someone tried to point out the mistake to the remake team ages ago, but unfortunately, maybe they didn't listen, in which case they should take more blame, because they would have now cauterised the possibility of a proper remake for a long time.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
They have been making it for 8 years, Valve has had no interest in doing it themselves, the encourage people to do fan-mods because it furthers the indie scene - Gearbox need to do the same

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
@IndignantSkeptic
lets be fair, the switch in artstyle was by FAR the best choice
duke forever was a "just get this in a playable state and release it" the pc version was fairly good if you look past the flaws and remember when it was made.
AC though... thats all on them

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I've never liked remakes when the original games is from a time when they are VERY playable still. Games we can still play on the newest operating systems thanks to source ports have no place to remake other than that trendy new "we (re)make the old games u liked" free instant sucker fanbase. i would MUCH rather see SEQUELS to the games.

Tomer Feiner

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I hate the remake of Half-Life 1 because, last time I checked, it was using a really old stupid version of the Source engine; the version that didn't even have specular highlighting. The remake is way too outdated now. The remake needs a remake.
I played Black Mesa and it did have specular highlights. LOTS of them, to be precise. So stop bitching and be a bit more intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.