Gearbox's Randy Pitchford: id and Crytek Will Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Remind me of the last Gearbox game that was on par with anything Valve, id, or Crytek has ever made?

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]thecoolonion[/nom]Remind me of the last Gearbox game that was on par with anything Valve, id, or Crytek has ever made?[/citation]
This is what happens to all those 13 year old modders who think they are hot stuff, but in reality suck.

Nothing to see here, move along all.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
A lot of people played Crysis and enjoyed it, myself included. If inability to port to consoles is a problem, is definitely not my problem and I couldn't care less. There are already too many crappy console games out there that are PC-ports wannabees and I enjoy a pure PC based gaming company that still caters to it's fan base.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
The comment stems around id and Crytek's current approach to consoles, and how they really haven't prepared for this generation. To give an example, he offers up Crysis, a game he claims that many people couldn't play on the PC due to hardware requirements, thus it was difficult to market. He also said that Crytek couldn't bring it to the consoles because of hardware restrictions.
lol. Y can run Crysis fine with a $120 4850.

As for not Crytek, isn't Crysis 2 going to be multi platform (and esp. aimed at PC and PS3)?

EPIC FAIL on Pitchford's part.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]thecoolonion[/nom]Remind me of the last Gearbox game that was on par with anything Valve, id, or Crytek has ever made?[/citation]

Boarderlands

It's lots of fun to play, a little buggy on the PC though.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
grear box makes ok games for some of the titles .. but to be honest there nothing worth mentioning .. as far as im concerned microsoft and sony should take a more proactive approach tell why it wouldnt make sense to do so .. modular system upgrades .. and just update the firm ware and drivers for the various modules. i know the games are designed for a specific hard ware set up .. but quite frankly using antiquated hardware to play next gen games on seems kinda crazy .. and not every one likes the wii lol
dam visual gaming sounds like a lot of exercise.. and trust me after work i dont feel like doing much... and another thing why the heck would you wanna rent online when netflix is cheap and you get a better service

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Excuse me, but Crysis was a pretty revolutionary game. On very high settings, it's still rather beautiful to look at. On top of that, I have yet to see any game with a more interactive and realistic environment. I actually wonder if the trees were made of Voxels (discussed in another article on here). It would explain why it taxes the hardware so much.

id Software made the Doom series and Quake series, names that every gamer knows. On top of that, I'm sorry, but Rage looks better than anything Gearbox has worked on, with the possible exception of Borderlands (which was primarily 2k anyway.)

Btw, Gearbox assisted in Half-Life ports and expansions, Halo on the PC, Brothers in Arms series, and Borderlands.

fudgedelic

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
No one gives Crysis credit for how scaleable it actually was. Sure if you crank it to 2560 and max settings it brought systems to their knees. But when the game came out in 07 I played it on my crappy little Athlon X2 5000+ and x1950 Pro. Sure I had to play on low to medium settings and 1680x1050 res but even at those settings the game still looked gorgeous. Now when i return to the game and have the ability to crank the settings it just looks that much better. If game developers followed this guy's suggestions we wouldn't make any graphical advancements until the next gen of consoles come out. Sorry but PC technology is moving too fast for games to look the same for 6-7 years.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
FU! they did just fine without the consoles, and I'm glad they aren't stooping to your level.

didn't you make borderlands? that sucks on the pc due to the borked interfaces coming from the consoles, so just stfu!

crysis can't run on the current consoles? well thats their fault! not crytek's! these consoles were meant to be next gen!! get back to your bandwagon n00b, wouldn't want them to leave you behind. you'll have us all playing fps's with a controller on PC if you could!

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
what a douchebagunov

Brother In Arms were good but they werent anything special. INFACT BiA was made on UT3 Engine so it wasnt really that original either... I dont want to play BIA quality games all the time. Learn from others and start innovating if you dont want to, shut your face and dont demote progress and innovation... Wi

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm sure gearbox would rather re-issue 'pong' with moderately upgraded graphics so that it's a console game... Console gaming will always fall behind PC games, within a year of the console coming out, for content, visuals and complexity of story and environments. That means five plus years these days of ever weakening ports of PC games to consoles. I'm sure gearbox would rather there be no PC games so that only consoles got attention.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Randy Pitchford is ALMOST the new John Romero. Bashing Valve, iD, Crytek, and Fallout 3... Borderlands is good, but it's not good enough to make his outlandish bashing anywhere near credible. This guy needs to be knocked down a peg or two.

Mysteic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I agree. Borderlands is good but have some very obvious short comings. He should learn to Shut the F__k up. Randy, you are not a powerhouse in the industry. You have no pull, power, or bragging rights just yet. You have made a whole bunch of mods and 1 game. While those were definitely above par, they were not awe inspiring or industry changing.

popswiss

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Funny considering Borderlands has a major flaw they have yet to fix preventing their users multiplayer content from being saved. Yep, they are so far ahead of the other companies.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Maybe I'm just too old or too ignorant, but the only game I recall Gearbox dooing that had widespread aclaim was Opposing Forces. Wasn't that a Half-Life Mod?

Again, I've been out of touch with the overall gaming community for the last few years, but still. It's the only title I can think of.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I like Borderlands, it is a great multiplayer title. Other than that I think gearbox should try to make a few more good games before criticizing the big names in their industry.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I really don't think Borderlands is a good looking game like Crysis. The cartoon graphics just ruin it imo... whoever though cell shading looked good needs to set it up next to a realistic game. Rocks in borderlands look like they're drawn by a 10yo kid. I like the game, it's fun, just doesn't have the graphical appeal that Crysis did.

As far as this guy is concerned, I do think that he is speaking from a strictly business point of view. Everyone is pushing consoles now, eventually there won't be anything but ports of year old console games on PC. As such, he is right in saying that if a company doesn't prepare for consoles as their primary source of income, they will encounter financial difficulties or fail outright.

I think it will take another generation of consoles for this to happen though. It is only just starting now and a strictly PC game can easily survive just as Crysis did.

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
A rather small developer is knocking companies that BUILD the engines that multiple games run on. Think about that. They also keep building rendering engines that other games will run on in the future. id and Crytek aren't just simple game companies. They are out to set the visual landscape of an entire industry for years to come. At this point when you think of Epic do you think of Unreal or the Unreal Engine? I have a feeling Epic makes a bit more money off their engine than they do their games. id and Crytek want the same piece of the render engine pie. This guy can fight over his game crumbs all he wants. His bashing of Valve had so many holes in its logic it wasn't even funny. Was he even involved creatively or on the technical side of any of Gearbox's games or mods? And why am I getting so worked up over a Kevin Parrish piece anyway? He writes crap like this just to get a rise out of people, not to actually report anything worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.